Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Synology DS218j & DS218play DiskStations Reviewed

Discussion in 'Synology' started by thiggins, Nov 29, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Synology's DS218j and DS218play bring good value and performance to two-bay NAS buyers.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

2. CivHunter

CivHunter Occasional Visitor

Tim thanks for the review. I have one question. I am currenty using a DS211J for file back up on my PC. I don't use it for media streaming but I'd like too. My biggest complaint is how slow the user interface is and how slowly it responds when trying to stream a movie. Now I know it' several years old and the value model but I was curious if you could tell any difference in the way these 2 newer units respond to user inputs in regards to each other. I am considering upgrading and as I do so on a slow cycle I'll probably go with the play version but I would love first hand user input. Thanks!

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

The responsiveness of the admin GUI on both products was about the same. BUT I did not test the GUI while streaming or transcoding.

The DS211j has a Marvell Kirkwood SoC. It was impressive back in the day, but not so much now.

4. iwod

iwod Regular Contributor

I honestly dont think there are any differences in all the 2xJ, I have a 211j too, and it does it job well enough. But If anyone wants to upgrade they should definitely consider NAS that has either Brtfs or ZFS. I have seen far too many silent image or video / files corruption.