What's new

Synology DS412+ vs. Pogoplug + Raid enclosure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which is the better option?

• Synology DS412+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pogoplug + RAID enclosure

• RAID enclosure to router via USB 2.0

• Total voters

jbombs16

Occasional Visitor
I am debating on purchasing either:

1) Synology DS412+ (or a DS413 but leaning to 412+)

OR

2a) Pogoplug v4 (hacking it to run ArchLinux) and purchasing a RAID enclosure to connect to the pogoplug, or

2b) Hooking the RAID enclosure to my router (USB 2.0)

I was going to follow this Pogoplug hacking guide (http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-series-4) and was leaning towards a SANS DIGITAL TR4UTBPN 4Bay USB 3.0 / eSATA Hardware RAID 5 Tower RAID Enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111149).

I already have 4 Hard drives I picked up on black Friday (Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001).

The cost will be significantly more if I choose to go the Synology route ($679) versus the PogoPlug + Raid enclosure ($40 + 179).

I would be using the NAS for backup, media streaming, Sabnzbd, sickbeard, etc.

It is worth spending the additional ~$400 to get the Synology?

Also, if the Pogoplug (or RAID to Router) option is doable, does anyone know if the hard drives will spin down when not in use? I would want them to spin down to increase the lifetime of the drives.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I think PoGo plug is a least-desirable choice. Their products are on the marked-down/clearance pricing at retailers for a reason.

I chose a $200 Synology two-drive NAS. I already had two dissimilar 2TB SATA drives so I used them - as two volumes, one as a time machine history backup. And one 1TB USB3 drive for critical backups to hide from burgulars.

"RAID is not a backup"

Last edited:
I've read that PoGo plugs have slow CPUs so their speed is quite poor. And the company is imploding. Not a good choice, IMO.