What's new

Synology DS918+ DiskStation Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
synology_ds918plus_product.jpg
Synology's DS918+ is a top-performing, but pricey four-bay NAS that could make good use of a 10 GbE port.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Great review as always. Thanks for specifically calling them out on the lack of 10gbit ethernet. I'd love to throw my money at this as I'm looking for a 4-5 port box like this to move my media discs out of my primary PC but it just doesn't make sense to have a performant box with the bottleneck of 1gbit ethernet connection. Full consumer cards now cost less than $100 so I can't image it would add significant cost to add it in place of the 1gbit chip. Even if it did cost them $100 more for some reason, I'd gladly pay that much more over a similar box with the 1gbit bottleneck.

Last edited:
The link to the Synology's white paper on SSD caching is missing an 'h' in the URL scheme, so clicks on it confuse both the browser and the person opening it.

Hello there,

there is a mistake in this article / review.
I am the author of the DS918+ teardown, published on iFixit.
So could you please edit or correct this plz.

I also wrote an article about SSD caching with DS918+ NAS and it's overall performance if needed.
But it's not translated (no enough time).

Thanks.

Sebastien

there is a mistake in this article / review.
I am the author of the DS918+ teardown, published on iFixit.
So could you please edit or correct this plz.
What is the mistake?

Our review says "iFixit has a complete teardown". The iFixit article byline reads: "Written By: Sébastien (and 4 other contributors)". I see no need to change anything.

Hello,

Although 'am happy to see SNB (and many others) use these photographies …

All tutorials are under CC v3.0 on iFixit…
and that's why i published on their website (share and authorship) …

If you carrefully read this : https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ , you can notice :
About Atribution : you must give "appropriate credit" …
If supplied, you must provide the name of the creator and attribution parties …

- iFixit is the publisher (it's not their teardown) …
- i am the creator / author of this tutorial, translations and photographies …

Although iFixit authorize this use (for press use only) ie only quote iFixit website,
i think this is normal to quote the author, and 'am not asking for the moon …

It took more than 2 days of work to create this content.

Sebastien

Last edited:
I am tempted to upgrade from my DS213J to this one. No apparent price drop since 2018 though :( Do you think this is still a good device? Or is there good chances a 2020 version will drop soon?

@castlefox The 918+ is a beast, and more than capable of doing what many home users & SMBs require. There will always be extra niceties (ex. 10Gbe, more bays, better cpu), but you always pay more. As a home user, I don't see anything in the 2020 models that make me feel any buyers remorse, and I purchased 7/2019.