What's new

Synology NAS - WD Red vs Seagate Ironwolf

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whsbuss

As the title implies, what is the community using? The seagate is 5900 RPM vs 5400 for the WD Reds. Any good or poor experiences with either? Getting ready to grab a DS 216j and 2 3TB drives.

I recently got the same. I went for 2x 4TB WD Reds. I read on several reviews that the 3TB's are unreliable. The slower spin gives a small penalty in performance but seems to improve reliability if what I was reading is true. Only had them a few weeks myself so I can't really comment on reliability. As far as performance goes, it takes a while for the drives to wake up from sleep if they haven't been used fur a while but once awake they perform pretty well. Haven't done any measurements but transfer times are reasonable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

WD Reds have a great reputation...

I've got 4*3tb seagate enterprise NAS drives - they're a bit noisy, but they've been in service now for some time, no issues noted...

spindle speed isn't as big of a deal with consumer/small business/home office NAS drives - slower spindle speeds is less noise, and less heat, and heat is the killer of disk drives.

BTW - I don't let my drives spin-down, as start/stop is normally when a disk will mostly likely fail...

the ironwolf is kinda new, so who knows?

As the title implies, what is the community using? The seagate is 5900 RPM vs 5400 for the WD Reds. Any good or poor experiences with either? Getting ready to grab a DS 216j and 2 3TB drives.
Have Qnap TS 431 with 4x3tb WD Red drives. Comming up on a year of service and no problems. Just personal use so they will probably outlast me

when buying storage drives dont look at the rotation speed. The drive CPU and ram matter more.
been using 6x3TB reds for 3 years, they arent particularly fast but they've been fine so far.