What's new

Synology RT2600AC + Intel AC7265

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enr00ted

Regular Contributor
Hi there everyone,

I have 2 synology routers one working as a router and the other as an access point (wired connection between the two).

This is how my airspace looks like, as you can see no one is using 5GHz.

Application_Frame_Host_2018_09_11_11_55_28.png

The 5GHz band is configured like this, on Synology (ch 36 router, ch 52 AP):

Application_Frame_Host_2018_09_09_21_15_01.png

I have on my laptop an Intel 7265 AC wireless card. Windows shows a link rate of 866Mbps.

I have been doing tests for a week now and for the love of God almighty, I am not able to understand why I can't get better speeds. Is it the router, is it the wireless card, is there any misconfiguration ?

Speed on LAN by WIFI (Synology NAS connected to router with Gigabit Ethernet):
LAN_Speed_Test_2018_09_15_14_23_01.png

Speed on LAN by Gigabit Ethernet (Synology NAS connected to router with Gigabit Ethernet, speed copying a single large file is around 110 MB/s) :
LAN_Speed_Test_2018_09_15_14_31_41.png

Speed to Internet by WIFI:
Application_Frame_Host_2018_09_15_14_24_40.png

Speed to Internet by Gigabit Ethernet (depends on the time of the day but at night I max at around 850 / 850):

I get around the same speed out of my Samsung Galaxy S8+ (and I've reached 800 Mbps at work on this device, so i'm sure it's capable of good AC speeds).

I need some advice, maybe I believe my hardware is more capable that it actually is ! Thanks !

Not seeing anything out of the norm actually - the 7265 is a dual stream adapter (and a good one at that)

Not seeing anything out of the norm actually - the 7265 is a dual stream adapter (and a good one at that)

Thank you for replying, but shouldn't I be able to get more speed ? I see the maximum speed listed for this card is 867 Mbps ...

try running iperf to measure throughput. There are several threads in the wireless forum on what command set to use.

Thank you for replying, but shouldn't I be able to get more speed ? I see the maximum speed listed for this card is 867 Mbps ...
Not really, the 867 Mbps is the wifi link rate and actual throughput will be nowhere near that. FWIW I have the Intel 8265 card in my notebook and I more or less get the same performance as you wrt wifi performance on the notebook. You've really got nothing to worry about :)

by using a 2 Gb/s wireless AP. ;)
Seriously, wireless is inherently half duplex. So take the rated bandwidth and divide by 2. That will be the theoretical max unless multiple channels are used. And that is in a perfect RF situation.

Just thought I would toss things out - most know what a 2-stream adapter generally does on the LAN...

test host is on the LAN, running Ubuntu 18.04LTS, client is Chromebook Lenovo N22... AP is a 3*3:3 stream broadcom based AP (Airport Extreme AC), the client NIC, which is the topic of this thread, is an Intel AC7265...

test location is approximately 1 meter (3 feet) from the AP...

Attachments

• ac7265_speedtest.png
    ac7265_speedtest.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 485