What's new

syslog.txt saved as syslog.avi in Firefox !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSpock

Hi all,
I know this sounds quite weird .... when connected to my RT-AX86U main router, Firefox saves syslog.txt file as syslog.avi
Any idea where to look ? o_O :oops:
GS

Attachments

• Inkedsignal-2022-07-20-081119.jpg
    Inkedsignal-2022-07-20-081119.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 87
Blame Firefox.

Use another browser that interferes less with the web, or simply rename the saved file.

Thanks for your time.
I am not here to blame anybody, just looking for possible true help (other than nuclear reset as soon as something goes wrong or use another thing or simply rename files ... ).

Haven't Windows changed extension, by misstanke?

Haven't Windows changed extension, by misstanke?
... I do not think so althought I am not sure how W10 could do that ; the file gets downloaded from FF as syslog.avi instead of syslog.txt
I am searching on FF fora but did not get any luck so far.

have you tried downloading the file with a different browser to make sure the issue is with Firefox?

have you tried downloading the file with a different browser to make sure the issue is with Firefox?
Yes, it downloads OK with Edge ....

and with a brand new install of FF in a VM, it downloads the file as syslog (without any extension !!!)

On macOS Safari saves it as "syslog.txt", but Firefox saves it as "syslog" (without an extension).

(I got curious because we earlier noticed that CFG files also get the wrong extension in Firefox)

On macOS Safari saves it as "syslog.txt", but Firefox saves it as "syslog" (without an extension).

(I got curious because we earlier noticed that CFG files also get the wrong extension in Firefox)
... I just went to adminstration page, and choose save settings and .... the file gets also saved as .avi extension !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-07-21 114201.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-07-21 114201.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
It's a known issue with Firefox and not related to the router or firmware.
Thanks, could you provide a link ? I am trying to find reference for this bug, but really struggling with groogle ... ;-)

and with a brand new install of FF in a VM, it downloads the file as syslog (without any extension !!!)
Are both installations of FF on the same version?

Thanks, could you provide a link ? I am trying to find reference for this bug, but really struggling with groogle ... ;-)
There are quite a few reports of this kind of behaviour on the internet. It seems to be a "feature" of FF that it looks inside the file and tries to identify the MIME type and then renames the extension to what it thinks it ought to be. (Just another reminder of why I gave up on FF years ago).

You could try this:

Are both installations of FF on the same version?
Yes, both are 102.0.1 (64 bits version).

Thanks for links, looking at them now ....

There are quite a few reports of this kind of behaviour on the internet. It seems to be a "feature" of FF that it looks inside the file and tries to identify the MIME type and then renames the extension to what it thinks it ought to be. (Just another reminder of why I gave up on FF years ago).
If true, then this is retarded behaviour. A filename is a filename, it should be chosen by the user or specified by a server, not automatically changed by a browser. Its only job is to receive the file being sent, and save it to disk with the name provided. That's it.

@GSpock, like I originally told you, blame Firefox. I said it for a reason.