What's new

Syslog warnings “missing in local config”.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zonkd

Very Senior Member
In 384.14 can anyone reproduce these syslog errors with their OpenVPN server? I saw them in 384.12 too.
Code:
WARNING: 'auth' is used inconsistently, local='auth [null-digest]', remote='auth SHA256'
WARNING: 'tls-crypt' is present in remote config but missing in local config, remote='tls-crypt'
The tls-crypt warning is of main concern. Here is what I do:
1. Change HMAC Authentication from Default to SHA256.
2. Change TLS control channel security from Disabled to Encrypted.
The 2 syslog warnings indicate my router either hasn't written those changes to it's server config, or hasn't read the changes. Why?

For my troubleshooting I have properly factory reset and tested with M&M config. I used default server settings. I've tried multiple clients with multiple OpenVPN client softwares. When I first enabled the OpenVPN server I gave it plenty of time to automatically generate it's certs/keys. When I enabled TLS Encrypted the router did create it's own Static Key successfully. I exported the client config directly from router. Clients do always connect successfully at least. Note that link-mtu and tun-mtu inconsistency warnings also appear in syslogs because the router doesn't put the options in exported client config files automatically. This is more of an annoyance that a problem. Old post here.

Edit: I'm still seeing the tls-crypt problem but the auth issue is gone now.

Edit: still unsolved and need help troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Bump. Can people please check their syslogs for these warnings and report back? :) Need helpful eyes on this.