What's new

Syslog with Asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superchromix

New Around Here
hi,

I am trying to monitor the DNS requests coming from a particular device on my network (a TV). I have configured syslog on my router (Asus RT-N16) which is running the latest version of Asuswrt (3.0.0.4_374.43_2-25E7).

I activated logging using the web interface, and set the log level to Info. However, on my syslog server, I am only seeing "administrative" messages from the router (logins, process started, etc). I do not see the information I was expecting, which is details of all of the network traffic.

I am new to Asuswrt and syslog. What am I doing wrong? My goal here is to check on what domains my TV is attempting to access.

thanks!

Your problem is not with syslog but with dnsmasq. You need to tell it to log DNS queries.

If you just want to do it temporarily (until the router is rebooted) log on to the router with SSH and type:

killall dnsmasq
dnsmasq --log-async --log-queries=extra

The queries will now show up in the syslog.

If you want to make it survive reboots you will have to create a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file.