What's new

System clock not acquiring time from NIST server when router is in "slave" mode.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pf5x

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have my two RT-N66U's in master-slave configuration like this:

Router #1, connected to WAN, LAN IP 192.168.2.1 with DHCP enabled.

Router #2 connected wired LAN-to-LAN to router #1, LAN IP 192,168.2.2, DHCP disabled.

This set-up functions perfectly, I have good wireless coverage with 2 different SSIDs but on the same IP subnet 192.168.2.x, so all my wireless devices can share etc. as needed, and my network printer is reachable via both routers.

I want to switch off my wireless radios during the night with the scheduler on the Administration page, provided the system time is correct. Router #1 gets the system time from the NIST server correctly, however router #2 apparently is unable to acquire the correct time (or does not acquire at all), despite the fact that all setting concerning the time server are the same as in router #1 and that router #2 is connected to the Internet via router #1.

What am I doing wrong ? Any solution (running a cmd in order to start the time setting in router #2) ?

-- Enno

Like router 1, router 2 expects to poll the NTP server via its WAN port, which isn't connected.

Like router 1, router 2 expects to poll the NTP server via its WAN port, which isn't connected.
Hi Tim,

Thanks, makes sense. But now the question is, if I make a (Router#1 LAN)-to-(Router#2 WAN) connection can I still have one subnet ? I want devices connected to Router#2 to be seen by devices connected to Router#1 and vice-versa ... E.g. my network printer (192.168.2.99) is on router#2 and I have a PC on router#1 who needs to print on it.

-- Enno

Nope. You can sorta do that, but its funky. Here's a very old article describing one way.

In general, when you convert a router to an AP using the DIY method, you lose all router functions.

If a router has an AP function built in, it's up to the designer what other features it supports besides basic AP.

Nope. You can sorta do that, but its funky. Here's a very old article describing one way.

In general, when you convert a router to an AP using the DIY method, you lose all router functions.

If a router has an AP function built in, it's up to the designer what other features it supports besides basic AP.
Thanks Tim,

I have read the article, but I think I will stick to my current configuration. It functions as desired, so I have to live without a proper timestamp in my second router.

-- Enno

What am I doing wrong ? Any solution (running a cmd in order to start the time setting in router #2)
Try Merlin's latest 178.15 build. System time is working through ntp.

I don't understand why Asus has not built in a manual system time adjustment setting. My old D-Link DIR-825 had the option to import the system time or to set it manually. Perhaps Merlin can put this on his list for possible inclusion in future versions.

Use telnet, or the Run Cmd page (if running Asuswrt-Merlin) and try the following command:

ntpclient -h time.nrc.ca -s

See if it returns the correct time (in which case it will also set your clock). If not, then it means that while in AP mode, the router itself doesn't have Internet access. In that case, you will have to manually use the "date" command to set the time. Supported formats for the "date" command:

hh:mm[:ss]
[YYYY.]MM.DD-hh:mm[:ss]
YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm[:ss]
[[[[[YY]YY]MM]DD]hh]mm[.ss]

For example:

date 2012-09-04 13:05

Perhaps Merlin can put this on his list for possible inclusion in future versions.
It's enabled in his current 178.15 build. I'm running in AP mode and it updates system time on boot nicely.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!