What's new

System log error ext2 lookup and remount. Assistance needed please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dandle

Regular Contributor
Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me with the following error I see under system log.

kernel: EXT2-fs (sda1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: xxx
kernel: EXT2-fs (sda1): error: remounting filesystem read-only

This appears literally every second in the logs one after another. I have an Asus AC68U router which is currently using firmware version 384.17. I'm not sure if this error is in anyway related but I've also noticed that skynet stats under the WebUI is no longer updating past the 8th July. Also the UIdivStats is blank. Again, not sure if any relation to the error.

Would appreciate any assistance with this issue.

Many thanks.

Your USB drive appears to be corrupted. If you haven't already I suggest you use amtm to install the Disk check script. Then reboot the router and see if it can fix it for you. Otherwise you'll have to do it manually.

I ran a disk check from within the WebUI and it says that errors have been detected.

" Errors have been detected on your hard drive. Remove any damaged files or use a PC to correct system issues. "
"
/dev/sdb1 is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting."

I've rebooted the router a few times earlier on but no change. What's my option here? Format the USB drive and start again with redownloading the scripts? This is strange because I have no idea why it would have become corrupted in the first place.

Ok, I've installed the disk check script and had a look at the log using dcl

It ran through a few things and says:

USB DRIVE: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)

Per the above, I ran fsck but nothing happens? Not sure what to do next?

Was the partition unmounted when you tried to check it?

What drive did you try to fix? In your OP the problem was with sda1, later it was with sdb1. How many drives do you have plugged in?

Yes I think so. As I said, when I initially ran the disk check via the WebUI, it unmounts it I believe.

Just the one USB drive. I think the reason it changed the letters was because I physically removed and plugged it back in. It is currently sdb1.

Yes I think so. As I said, when I initially ran the disk check via the WebUI, it unmounts it I believe.
But then it normally tries to remount it.

I suggest that you check that /dev/sdb1 is not mounted by looking at the output of this command.
Code:
df -h
Only if it isn't mounted use this command to try to repair it.
Code:
e2fsck -f -y /dev/sdb1

Before unounting I ran df -h and sure enough it showed my Toshiba USB drive. After unmounting, it no longer shows the drive when issuing the same command.

Issuing e2fsck -f -y /dev/sdb1 comes back with the following:

/dev/sdb1 is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127732k,nr_inodes=,mode=)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /www/require/modules/menuTree.js type tmpfs (rw,relatime)

Try this and see if the e2fsck then works.
Code:
umount /www/require/modules/menuTree.js

When i try to unmount this is what occurs:

umount: can't unmount /www/require/modules/menuTree.js: Invalid argument

I did notice this in the routers system log:

uiDivStats: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - statistic generation likely currently in progress

Could this have anything to do with it?

Rather than waste too much time on this I suggest you log into the GUI and disable custom scripts and configs, then reboot the router.

I don't see any option for disabling scripts. I think with the USB unmounted the scripts no longer appear anyway.

Thanks. I'll try that. Quick question. Rather than me having to plug the USB back in to have it remounted. Is there a simple command I can use to enable the drive to mount back?

Rather than me having to plug the USB back in to have it remounted. Is there a simple command I can use to enable the drive to mount back?
No you need to unplug and then re-plug in the device. The reason being that this triggers lots of other events which are necessary for the router to work with it. If you just mount the device from the ssh command line none of these events happen.

Hmm, I think I'm going round in circles. No luck with the above. I just decided to instead format the USB drive altogether using amtm's built in feature. It went through the process, but now no matter how many times I unplug/replug the USB back in, it still shows as unmounted.

Any ideas?

Maybe it's simply a dead device. That might explain a lot. On the other hand you said you managed to format it with amtm. :confused: What filesystem format did you use?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!