What's new

System Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyK132

Why is the System Time on the General Log page different from the Date command in a Putty session? Mine is 1 hr off. I'm running ntpMerlin. I also have this line in the Admin-System page:

* Reminder: The System time zone is different from your locale setting.

For cron jobs, which time is Linux using? I'm guessing it's the Date command result.

How do I fix this problem?

* Reminder: The System time zone is different from your locale setting.
Has this message only just started appearing? There are often questions about this at this time of year (and in six months time) because the clocks are about to change and sometimes the DST database used by the router is incorrect. Alternatively you may just have set the DST on the router wrong.

Short answer is that I do not know.

The general time concept for Linux/UNIX is that the system time is synchronized to UTC time and offset to the local time with environment settings.

The time in General Log appears to be offset to my local time zone EDT. The time in my ssh session also appears to be offset to EDT. There is no TZ variable set, so I presume that somehow the nvram variable time_zone is used?

This leaves open the question of how the time zone in General Log could differ from an ssh session. Also, how could the locale be involved? The United States has multiple time zones.

Code:
time_zone=EST5DST
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_dstoff=M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
time_zone_x=EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_ALL='en_US.UTF-8'

it depends on where you are.
I am in the UK and noticed this last night. I had missed changing from default after a full reset so I had

DST time zone changes starts 3 month 2nd Sun 2 hour(s)
DST time zone changes ends 10 month 2nd Sun 2 hour(s)

For the UK it should be

DST time zone changes starts 3 month 5th Sun 2 hour(s)
DST time zone changes ends 10 month 5th Sun 2 hour(s)

If you are running time dependant scripts (as I am) you may want to reboot the router (or stop/start each script) after you have corrected the time.

it depends on where you are.
I am in the UK and noticed this last night. I had missed changing from default after a full reset so I had

DST time zone changes starts 3 month 2nd Sun 2 hour(s)
DST time zone changes ends 10 month 2nd Sun 2 hour(s)

For the UK it should be

DST time zone changes starts 3 month 5th Sun 2 hour(s)

If you are running time dependant scripts (as I am) you may want to reboot the router (or stop/start each script) after you have corrected the time.

Officially....

1602528229435.png

so for the UK, the GUI should be

DST time zone changes starts 3 month 5th Sun 1 hour(s)

Very too weird. I'm glad you piped up b/c this was wrong now on all my routers upgraded to 384.19. Some have AMTM + ntpMerlin and some are vanilla Merlin 384.19 with no AMTM.

It appears the Administration > System page somehow got the wrong "fall-back" values for ending DST for my locale.

Here's what it was vs. what it should be. When this happens, the router's time is (-1) hour in the logs and ntpMerlin page vs your local time. Set the values correctly for your locale should resolve it. IDK how it got changed...b/c I did not alter it manually.

Was
1602590558996.png

Should be for my local
1602590662644.png

Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
This is why people are agitating for DST to come to an end...and every time it happens, I edge closer to signing on with that...like right now!

It still offers two reminders per year to change your smoke detector batteries.

No longer valid at least here in Canada. New laws requires you to have a smoke detector that a) has a non-removable battery, and b) that has a long-lasting lithium battery (typically 10 years of life if I recall).

No longer valid at least here in Canada. New laws requires you to have a smoke detector that a) has a non-removable battery, and b) that has a long-lasting lithium battery (typically 10 years of life if I recall).
I'd wager that @dave14305 is well aware of the growing chasm in ideologies between our two countries, as he lives on the edge of a very real one.

I'd wager that @dave14305 is well aware of the growing chasm in ideologies between our two countries, as he lives on the edge of a very real one.
The difference has never been more apparent. While you guys have non-removable L-ion batteries, I have hard-wired smoke detectors with replaceable 9V battery backup. USA! USA! ;)

I don't want to go through another round of system updates like in 2007 when timezones needed to be updated on servers, obscure Java installations, etc. My home alarm panel still changes time on the old DST dates (pre-2007) since it's older than that.

The difference has never been more apparent. While you guys have non-removable L-ion batteries, I have hard-wired smoke detectors with replaceable 9V battery backup. USA! USA! ;)

Alrighty there, neighbour. You know that's not what I meant. SMH (Universal Spanking Alliance or Association?)

Very too weird. I'm glad you piped up b/c this was wrong now on all my routers upgraded to 384.19. Some have AMTM + ntpMerlin and some are vanilla Merlin 384.19 with no AMTM.

It appears the Administration > System page somehow got the wrong "fall-back" values for ending DST for my locale.

Here's what it was vs. what it should be. When this happens, the router's time is (-1) hour in the logs and ntpMerlin page vs your local time. Set the values correctly for your locale should resolve it. IDK how it got changed...b/c I did not alter it manually.

Was View attachment 26851

Should be for my local
View attachment 26852
That was it, thanks for finding.

Was View attachment 26851

Should be for my local
View attachment 26852
mine gave me this issue as well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!