What's new

T-mobile 5G gateway with Asus (Merlin router)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

repeater

Occasional Visitor
Fellas,

I'm about to switch service to T-mobile. They only offer a "gateway" That is a combo unit. Anyone have theirs setup with their own router? How ya done it? Just getting prepped since I have 15 days to test and return. I'm not interested in using their gateway / wifi router, I have a couple Asus routers with Merlin that work great, and have features T-mobiles solution can't match. The price of the service is half what the bag oh D's at Cox charge.

Thanks,

D

It might be worth checking the terms and conditions of "unlimited data SIM cards" to see if you'd be better off with just a 5G modem plugged into a "compatible" router. Here in the UK such SIM cards with no usage throttling are often MUCH cheaper than using a carrier supplied 5G modem/router, though you do have the initial 5G modem cost to consider!

There are a number of youtube and other web resources that discuss this. Pretty simple and straightforward,,,turn off SSID channels, connect thru lan port, etc...

Fellas,

I'm about to switch service to T-mobile. They only offer a "gateway" That is a combo unit. Anyone have theirs setup with their own router? How ya done it? Just getting prepped since I have 15 days to test and return. I'm not interested in using their gateway / wifi router, I have a couple Asus routers with Merlin that work great, and have features T-mobiles solution can't match. The price of the service is half what the bag oh D's at Cox charge.

Thanks,

D

There's no choice...

With T-Mobile Home Internet, you have to use their provided 5G gateway.

It's very simplistic, about the only thing you can change is the WiFi SSID's and channels - it is WiFi6 for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz, and is a 4*4:4 radio - it's good wifi, it's definitely better than most, if not all, consumer routers on the radio link.

1) No port forwarding on IPv4 or IPv6
2) All inbound IPv6 ports are filtered (no inbound)
3) IPv6 is native, IPv4 is 464XLATE - there is no choice here
4) You can run a personal router behind the gateway, but IPv4 and IPv6 is assigned from T-Mobile, your IPv4 is private addressed (192.168.12.0/24), your IPv6 will be a /64, so no subnetting here for additional subnets

Other than that - it's fairly good, IMHO - my Nokia trashcan gets 650 downlink, 60 uplink, decent latency

I use it for my work internet access - MS Teams, Zoom, Slack, Office365, etc over work-provided VPN - which frees up my cable broadband for other activities. To put things into perspective - it's an awesome deal - $600/year for broadband, and my Mint Mobile phone account is $240/year...

Any advice on how to set up my Asus GT-AX11000 with 2 ZenWiFi 6 nodes. It's connected via the ethernet port with 2g turned off and 5G on but not broadcasting on the t-mobile unit. I get good speeds (150Mbps -300Mbps) but it routinely droops off and has to be rebooted. Once rebooted it requires good speeds.
Anything I missing on setting up my AX11000?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!