What's new

T-Mobile 5g Home Internet Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cjb4

Occasional Visitor
I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and discovered T-Mobile Internet. I was siked that maybe now I could dump xfinity cable. I ordered the T-Mobile box set it up and started receiving around 300 Mbps wifi. A bit slower than my 1 gig xfinity wifi (never over 800) but adequate for most anything. But after 3 days I’ve run into an issue that might tank the switch. On day three my 3 comcast emails quit syncing. No emails in or out. Comcast email worked fine if I logged on to comcast connect internet and accessed email online but it wouldn’t download to my iPhone or PC (outlook 365). Contacted comcast tech support who walked me thru several possible setup fixes. Nothing worked so as a final attempt the tech wanted to refresh my internet service. To do this I had to reconnect my comcast cable modem, this fixed the problem. Queried the tech but he couldn’t explain why t-mobile wifi would inhibit syncing of comcast email. Any thought on how to fix this. I would hate this to prevent me from dumping Comcast.

I’m new to the service as well. I use Gmail and Hotmail accounts and have no issues with them. Maybe unique to Comcast Email? I’ve been tweaking the location and orientation a bit and have been seeing download speeds in the 600 and 700 Mbps range today.. just ran a speed test at 5:55 PM and hit 658 down and 29 up…

Back to the original question does anyone know what might be keeping comcast email from working with T_Mobile Wi-Fi?

How you receive the email?
Webmail?
Email app?
If I remember right, t-mobile block some stuff?
Do you get an error message?

It blocks email both on outlook 365 and on ios mail but iphone and ipad. If I log on to comcast mail it works fine.

That was "both iphone and Ipad"
The error message is cannot sync email etc. Its is a imap server and I have tried all different port configurations. Would need to reconnect the t-mobile device to get the exact error message. What is puzzling was that email worked fine for the first 3 or 4 days when I first hooked the t-mobile wifi then stopped until I reconnected the comcast cable modem. I could turn off wifi on my phone and receive email with just cellular. So t-mobile 5G wifi is definitely interfering with comcast imap email

Hi cjb4,

I don't know what you are going to do but it is not Comcast's fault.
For email programs (apps) you need the following ports:
POP3 > 110
IMAP > 143
IMAP SSL > 993
IMAP3 > 220

You have to talk to t-mobile about that!

Viper111

That was "both iphone and Ipad"
The error message is cannot sync email etc. Its is a imap server and I have tried all different port configurations. Would need to reconnect the t-mobile device to get the exact error message.

Has nothing to do with t-mobile...

Google, earlier this month, rolled out 2-factor authentication by default (it used to be opt-in) - so this has caught a few folks off guard when using the mail.app on iPhone/iPad and Outlook for Win/Mac/iOS/Android.

Check your Google account settings and make appropriate changes there

It has nothing to do with google email and everything to do with both comcast and y-mobile. I can’t sync comcast email when I have t-mobile 5G Wi-Fi on. I don’t know which is blocking but it has something to do with one or the other

It has nothing to do with google email and everything to do with both comcast and y-mobile. I can’t sync comcast email when I have t-mobile 5G Wi-Fi on. I don’t know which is blocking but it has something to do with one or the other

Are you connecting to the t-Mobile unit directly, or using a router connected to it?

I've done both but when I first experienced email failure I was connected to wifi via my mesh setup (Asus GT Ax11000 and two Zen WIFI AX units)

As you likely know already, the UI on the t-Mobile device is pretty simple, and not much can be changed there (WiFi SSID, WiFi channels, that's about it)

Connecting thru a router, try dropping the WAN side MTU size a bit - from 1500 (default) to 1420, as 5G/4G has a bit of overhead that one doesn't see on DSL/Cable/Fiber...

I also have t-Mobile 5G Home Internet, just testing for now, but have not noticed any issues with apps talking to any email hosts - gmail, Office355 (outlook/exchange), or my cable co (Cox HSI) with iPhone, MacOS, or Windows 10 Enterprise over GlobalProtect VPN...

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know.

Worse comes to worse, I would recommend calling t-Mobile as well - we're all early deployment customers, so they do look at issues reported from the field.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!