1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

T-Mobile CellSpot

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by millercentral, Sep 11, 2014.

1. millercentral

millercentral Occasional Visitor

2. Ronv42

Ronv42 Senior Member

I haven't seen any of the technical information other that the owner manual image. If they are customizing the firmware they must be using the native QOS capabilities. It will be interesting on what they will lock down in the router to make sure WiFi calling works.

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Since the cat is now out of the bag... Search the source code for TM-AC1900 references. Asus has been working on this for a few months already. They added Passpoint and SNMP support for the TM-AC1900, as well as a few specific configuration surrounding QoS/VoIP.

The firmware is entirely developed by Asus, it's just a specific device profile in the Asuswrt code.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  4. netmik3

netmik3 Senior Member

5. KGB7

KGB7 Very Senior Member

So who will provide firmware updates, Asus or Tmobile?

Im guessing next Asus firmware for our routers will have same fix implemented?

6. Kris404

Kris404 Regular Contributor

Not a bad deal. Costs $25 refundable deposit (or $99 outright purchase).

7. RMerlin

Currently I see no reference to T-Mobile in the update checker code, so unless they change that at the last minute, my guess is it will be Asus.

8. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

If you move about between cities, T-Mobile has the poorest coverage of all carriers. Second worst is Sprint.
    Verizon is best.

9. Kris404

Kris404 Regular Contributor

True but Verizon costs an arm and a leg.

10. Bulls729

Bulls729 Occasional Visitor

Hey Merlin! Just curious, since it appears this just a Firmware Modified AC-68U, and the fact that this device is $25, this device is going to be a big hit. Do you think that the devide will accept your AC-68U FW if say for example I did'nt care about the T-Mobile WiFi calling optimizations but wanted your optimizations instead? Thanks a lot, have a wonderful day!

11. RMerlin

Hard to say since I don't know for a fact that the hardware and bootloader are exactly the same as a regular RT-AC68U.

12. Bulls729

Understandable, I'm one of the mods over at /r/tmobile on reddit, and come the 17th when it's released I'll be ordering one, if you would like I'll be happy to give you all the information you need if your interested and try to provide information about the device out with my limited programming knowledge.

13. jazzmachine

jazzmachine New Around Here

Hey guys and gals, my first post here. I actually ended up joining because I started a thread on this topic in the XDA T-Mobile Note 3 forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-3-tmobile/general/tmo-recent-announcement-personal-t2873487

Of course, most discussion on the device is just speculation until we get our hands on it... however, the subject of alternative firmware came up and I mentioned Merlin's AsusWRT, which I had somewhat recently flashed on my RT-AC66U to which a member here replied that he had already asked Merlin about that specific subject :D

I'm mostly here to learn from what seems to be a great group of knowledgeable members, but I just wanted to say "hello" and share that link in case anyone cares to minorly supplement their awareness of speculative chatter regarding this device :)

14. RMerlin

Asus (and T-Mobile) does have some special plans for that device, such as Passpoint support specific to T-Mobile's network.

15. RMerlin

If someone was willing to fork my project, it would probably be trivial to support it however. The build profile is a slight variation on the RT-AC68U one:

Code:
    export TM-AC1900 := $(RT-AC68U_BASE)
    export TM-AC1900 += BUILD_NAME="TM-AC1900"
    export TM-AC1900 += TMOBILE=y

So basically a different build name, and a TMOBILE setting that enables various customizations done by Asus for T-Mobile. The only question remains whether the CFE contains any customization that would force you into recompiling specifically with the TMOBILE setting enabled, or if you could do a vanilla build of RT-AC68U.

16. Bulls729

I have a very limited knowledge as far as compiling goes, but if someone were to steer me in the right direction, I'd be happy to put the time in. I can see the DSL variants being trivial to support considering how non-widespread they are, but T-mobile has a very large audience, and selling these at $25 a pop is going to make them quite popular.

The FCC filings give even more hope as to being able to run a vanilla AC-68 build on the device, the TM-AC1900 was not given it's own FCCID, instead asus filed an update to it's AC68U FCCID to include the T-Mobile product. MSQ-RTAC68U

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...me=N&application_id=137235&fcc_id=MSQ-RTAC68U

Which includes the following device models: RT-AC68U, RT-AC68R, RT-AC68RW, TM-AC1900

17. Bulls729

18. Bulls729

It appears the T-Mobile specific Passpoint may be rolled out to all AsusWRT supported routers.

http://nw-dlcdnet.asus.com/Advanced_WPasspoint_Content.asp

19. majnu

majnu Regular Contributor

Any plans to roll this out in the UK? I guess TMobile or I think they are known as EE now will have that info.

20. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

It is FREE if you qualify and are one of the first to order. I just called them today and after five minutes on the phone including hold time T-Mobile is shipping me a router by UPS ground to arrive next week.

Only conditions are is that I must return it in good physical condition if I terminate my service or if I break the router I must replace it. If the router fails they will trouble shoot it and if necessary replace it.

What's not to like about free. Worst case is I will double NAT it behind my primary router and use it only to connect to my Samsung phone.