1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

T-Mobile CellSpot

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by millercentral, Sep 11, 2014.

1. utamav

utamav Occasional Visitor

Can someone tell me how to rollback the TM-AC1900 to Official T-Mobile firmware? I have already changed the CFE back to the original one.

Currently I have Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 installed on it but if I try to install FW_TM_AC1900_30043761703, it gives me an error that the firmware upgrade failed. I tried going back to FW_RT_AC68U_30043761663 and still get the same error.

2. Engineer

Engineer Regular Contributor

Edit: I just re-read your posting and since you have the original CFE on there, you won't be able to flash to Tomato. You would need to flash the CFE back to Asus, then flash Tomato to the TMobile firmware (.1703 to get Telnet) and then flash your CFE back to TMobile. By the way, have you tried to use the mini-CFE webserver mode (below) to flash version .1703 Tmobile directly from where you are currently?

Try putting Tomato ARM 1.24 on there, reset NVRAM and then flashing the TMobile firmware from the Tomato GUI (assuming the TMobile firmware image ends in .trx).

You may have to flash Tomato from the mini-CFE webserver page (power off, press and hold reset button and power back on. Hold reset button for about 10 seconds or so. Navigate to 192.168.1.1 and you should see the mini-CFE webserver page. You'll have to manually set your PC's IP to 192.168.1.2, Subnet 255.255.255.0).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. VanillaXtract

VanillaXtract Occasional Visitor

I am afraid I bricked my router. I read the CFE posts many many times. But I somehow missed the changing the secret key. I uploaded the CFE with the 3 correct MACs, but the wrong secret key. Now my router will not boot. Since I reset the nvram, telnet is not an option anymore. Is there anyway to fix this?

4. pilotbob3

pilotbob3 New Around Here

Thank you so much Darinmc,

Your procedure worked for me, however for me your step 9 did not work. Before I uploaded the file, I had to release the reset button (rather than leaving it pressed). As soon as I released it, I was able to upload the file, and the completion % status worked perfectly. I am now able to telnet into the router thanks to you! Now on to the rest of the procedure :)

5. pilotbob3

Hmmm, Thanks to Darinmc I was able to get in to Mini CFE webloader and downgraded my firmware to V3.0.0.4_376.1703. Also was able to enable Telnet and flash "CFE".

However, now I am stuck on step 3, trying to re-enter MiniCFE to be able to flash my custom firmware and can't reach it. The new behavior when I try to re-enter MiniCFE by entering Restore Mode is that the power light blinks slowly, but my browser never finds the Mini CFE (just the settings have been updated message). I've tried as both a router and an AP, no joy.

Router shows ASUS RT-AC68U on the webpage, firmware fersion 3.0.04.376_1703.

nvram get bl_version shows: 1.0.2.1

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

6. pilotbob3

Just a follow up, I was able to get to the CFE miniWeb Server (configure router as AP, hold reset button, power switch on, refresh 192.168.29.1 twice). That brings up the miniWeb Server, however, trying now to flash a file shows uploading 0%, but never increments and finally times out).

Any ideas?

7. pilotbob3

Following up on my last post, finally figured out my issue. I had a problem with Chrome while running the Mini CFE upload. When I ran Firefox, I was able to upload the file. There are no notifications that the file is uploading, just a waiting for a connection message. After about 3 minutes, there is a new message saying that the file has uploaded and is restarting. Was able to load ASUS 376.3626. After NVRAM reset, 376.3626 came up fine. From there, I was able to load Merlin just fine.

8. utamav

utamav Occasional Visitor

Sorry for not replying back. I was running out of time to return the router so I had to return it as is. Let's hope I don't get charged for that.

9. Engineer

No problem. I was going to ask why not return it with either Asus or Merlin on it. Tmobile hasn't done anything to anybody so far that I've read about and I'm sure many have returned it with Asus or Merlin installed. TM will likely send these to be refurbished (possibly by Asus) and most likely dump them.

trentm1 likes this.
  10. butter_fry

butter_fry Occasional Visitor

...Digging up this old thread.
    First thanks to @Engineer for the detailed guide on this router. I'm 90% there coming from a TM 3001 firmware but need some help with the last bit.

Everything went swimmingly, I was able to do all the steps in the guide to get telnet access, downflash cfe/firmware all that. I can flash the CFE all around to different versions (tried the whole process 4 or 5 times with different CFEs)

My problem is this:
    No matter what I seem to do I can't get the firmware off of the 1703 TM downflashed version. I can't even get a reflash on the same file. I've worked with these routers for years and am familiar enough with the CFE html and Restoration Utility. I'm totally at a loss.. Reset 10+ times, cleared nvram at least that many.. no matter what with whatever method when I try to upload a 376.x vanilla ac68u firmware to it, it will choke. The webui chokes instantly, the HTML CFE sometimes loads 100% sometimes 20% or more.. the utility usually goes 20-40% and then reboots the hardware.
    After the failed flash, it reboots (when using the util or cfe web) and i'm back to the standard fully functional 1703 TM firmware. Though it is branded a 68u in the UI with no mention of TM anywhere anymore.

Any ideas?

[email protected]:/tmp/home/root# nvram get bl_version
    [email protected]:/tmp/home/root# dmesg | grep -e "flash" -e "nand" -e "amd" /tmp/s
    yslog.log
    Dec 31 16:00:12 kernel: Found a AMD NAND flash:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  11. butter_fry

butter_fry Occasional Visitor

ahhh tomato (i just read the obsolete parts of the guide). I was able to do that.. now back home to a recent Merlin.

For posterity:
    With an Asus CFE, if you get locked out of upgrading from the baseline TM 1703 after the CFE flash process. Goto Tomato 124 VPN (nice and small). Then from there flash to the recommended Vanilla Asus FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626 > then Merlin if you desire.

Engineer likes this.
  12. Dan Heading

Dan Heading New Around Here

SNB noob here, I have the TM-AC1900, and was hesitant on putting cfw on the router since I technically don't own it. I've decided to take the plunge since I really don't need/use wifi calling, and would prefer something a little more robust. Not sure if I was reading an old guide (or a guide for the wrong router), but I recall reading something about backing up and saving the mac addresses and wps password, with a little hex editing to restore them to the replacement firmware.

I'm presently on the stock t-mo 3.0.0.4.376_3169 firmware, so I'm sure a downgrade is necessary, and while I'm not afraid of doing a little shell work, I don't really want to get too involved, something tells me this won't be as easy to fix as my android if I skip a step.. Are there any up to date guides, or is the hex editing even a necessary step?

Thanks for the info and time.
    Dan

13. Engineer

Dan, there has been an update to the guide. A member of SlickDeals, who wishes to remain anonymous, wrote a utility to do the hex editing for you. Read section #5 of the guide for details (including download link):

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73690012&postcount=3895

I and others have verified that it works and is a real time saver! :)

Note: it does need to be run on a PC running Windows.

Uncle_Gadget likes this.
  14. KiLiTLi

KiLiTLi New Around Here

Hi everyone, I just got my TM-AC1900 router today and I'm having so much trouble trying to enter recovery mode to downgrade. I'm currently on .3181 and this is what I have tried: resetting the NVRAM before the entire process, darrinmc's method, and trying to enable telnet/ssh through the html trick. When attempting darrinmc's method or any method involving holding down the reset button, the router boots up (no flashing light) but when I try to enter 192.168.29.1 I get this image: [​IMG]
    Any help would be appreciated thank you!

15. elmo

elmo New Around Here

Hey, have you found a solution yet? I'm still looking for the best guide. Thanks.

16. awrsantos

awrsantos New Around Here

Same problem here in the new firmware 376_3181, I'm still looking for a solution ...

17. awrsantos

Good news, this worked for me:

1) Disconnect the router from the network/internet, only 1 wired Ethernet cable should be plugged
    into any LAN port, DO NOT do any firmware related flashing via WIRELESS
    2) Restore FACTORY DEFAULTS of the Router, this should set the IP of the router to 192.168.29.1
    3) Set your computer to use a static IP of 192.168.29.88
    4) Place router into Rescue/Recovery/Restore Mode
    a) Turn power off to the router by disconnecting the power cable
    b) Wait 10 seconds
    c) Press and Hold the Reset button
    d) Restore power to router while continuing to hold Reset button
    e) Continue to hold Reset button for 8 seconds while entering 192.168.29.1 on browser
    f) Wait for MiniCFE webpage to appear
    5) Flash the T-Mobile firmware version 3.0.0.4_376_1703 TRX file using the "Asus Firmware
    Restoration Tool" or "MiniCFE webpage." Continue to hold Reset button while flashing custom
    firmware
    a) TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba.trx
    6) Wait 5 mins
    7) Perform NVRAM RESET
    a) Turn power off to the router by disconnecting the power cable
    b) Wait 10 seconds
    c) Press and hold the WPS button
    d) Restore power to router while continuing to hold WPS button
    e) Continue to hold WPS button for 20 seconds then let go
    8) Wait 5 mins
    9) The firmware should now be downgraded and you can verify by longing into the router and
    checking the firmware version through the web browser interface.

Lowcarb and elmo like this.
  18. OsoTheBear

OsoTheBear Occasional Visitor

It happened to me the other day. What I did was rebooting the router normally (without pressing the reset button) and enter 192.168.29.1 again.

19. elmo

elmo New Around Here

This isn't working for me... I'm stuck with the 376_3181 firmware after the reboot. Can you offer an insight maybe? Where did you find this method?

20. awrsantos

After trying several times and not succeeding, a friend sent me these steps and got it. I'll try to explain step by step how I did it (sorry for English, I used a translator):

1 - Turn on the router and wait for the complete boot
    2 - Restore factory settings - press and hold reset button for 15 seconds
    3 - Wait for the complete boot again and turn off the router by removing the power cable
    4 - Resete nvram
    a) Press and hold the WPS button
    b) Restore the power of the router while holding the WPS button
    c) Hold the WPS button for 20 seconds, then release
    5 - Wait 5 minutes
    6 - Set your computer to use a static IP 192.168.29.88
    7 - Put the router in recovery mode
    a) Turn off the router by removing the power cable
    b) Wait 10 seconds
    c) Press and hold the reset button
    d) While holding the reset, restore the power of the router
    e) Continue to hold reset button for 8 seconds while entering 192.168.29.1 on browser (I used anonymous tab in Google Chrome to avoid page with cache)
    f) Wait for the MiniCFE page to appear
    8 - Flash the file 'TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba.trx' using the 'MiniCFE' webpage. Continue to hold reset button while flashing custom firmware

These steps solved my problem. If you can not access the MiniCFE page some step is not working. I think one of the problems for not being able to access the MiniCFE page was the browser cache, which I resolved by accessing with anonymous tab.

That's what I can help, good luck!

Lowcarb likes this.