1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

T-Mobile CellSpot

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by millercentral, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Gunn

Gunn New Around Here

So I have been banging my head on this procedure for two nights and several hours now and YOU awrsantos just solved it for me! I would put the TM AC-1900 router into recovery mode (slow flashing power light) and I could ping it, but when I tried to go to 192.168.29.1 in my Chrome browser, nothing would happen and it would fail.

If I tried to use the ASUS recovery tool, as soon as I tried it, the ping replies would stop immediately and it too would fail either saying the router was not in recovery mode, or waiting for 31 seconds before just failing.

Once I set it into recovery mode again and went into a "New Incognito Browser" in Chrome and typed in 192.168.29.1, the mini-CFE browser immediately popped up! Whoa!

And then I was able to downgrade the firmware, change the CFE, and upload the ASUS FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx firmware.

Thanks!

2. elmo

elmo New Around Here

I gave it another go and followed your instructions to the T, and it freaking worked!!

The key for me was that I was not holding down the reset button during the flashing process. But it worked! after I downgraded the firmware to 1703, I changed the bootloader using the SlickDeals guide. Sick job!

3. Gunn

Gunn New Around Here

You shouldn't have to hold the reset -during- the flash. Simply power off router, press and hold reset and the turn on the power button. Hold reset until either the power light begins to slow flash, or about 30 seconds. Then you can use a browser to access the miniCFE page.

I could never get the Asus recovery utility app to work....

4. elmo

elmo New Around Here

I'm telling you that holding the reset button during the flash is was what did it for me... It was the only variable and it worked.

5. Gunn

Gunn New Around Here

Ok, then this is good to know if that was the only variable that changed. These routers do seem to behave differently depending on the firmware level. Like for me I noticed that going into recovery mode would show a slow-flashing power light for older T-Mobile and all ASUS firmware, but the latest T-Mobile firmware that was automatically pushed to my 2nd router was not flashing. I just had to wait awhile.

6. kendall green

kendall green New Around Here

Engineer's description worked for me. I had to use Windows 10, not my favorite OS, but it worked. Ubuntu 16.04 didn't seem to work for me. I checked the asus cfe mac and secret codes many times before I had the nerve to write them to the router. Now I am on the most recent ASUS firmware. :)

7. Devang Patel

Devang Patel New Around Here

Need some help here please! I have two of these routers. I was able to convert one to the the AC68U (didn't have 3181 firmware). The one with 3181 firmware is being a pain. I can get to CFE recovery web page. It acts like it is flashing but then I get a page not found error/connection timed out (http://192.168.29.1/f2.html). After the error I can still ping the router and get a TTL of 100 (which I think means its in recovery mode). Asus Recovery Tool didnt help.

I did a serial connection to the router with putty. I tried to flash through the web gui while the serial was connected. I saw the boot sequence then got the following error:

Null Rescue Flag.
    Startup canceled
    CFE> tcb->tcb_rcvnext=3fe27505 seqnum=3fe2771d
    tcb->tcb_rcvnext=3fe2771d seqnum=3fe27505

I have access to the CFE> prompt but no commands work. If I restart the router it works pefectly fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8. Devang Patel

Need some help here please! I have two of these routers. I was able to convert one to the the AC68U (didn't have 3181 firmware). The one with 3181 firmware is being a pain. I can get to CFE recovery web page. It acts like it is flashing but then I get a page not found error/connection timed out (http://192.168.29.1/f2.html). After the error I can still ping the router and get a TTL of 100 (which I think means its in recovery mode). Asus Recovery Tool didnt help.

I did a serial connection to the router with putty. I tried to flash through the web gui while the serial was connected. I saw the boot sequence then got the following error:

Null Rescue Flag.
    Startup canceled
    CFE> tcb->tcb_rcvnext=3fe27505 seqnum=3fe2771d
    tcb->tcb_rcvnext=3fe2771d seqnum=3fe27505

I have access to the CFE> prompt but no commmands work. If I restart the router it works pefectly fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9. danbutter

danbutter New Around Here

Anyone ever had to return this to Tmo? Would they care if other firmware had been flashed?
    A friend has one of these that I don't think ever came out of the box. I have been asked to see if I can fix their wireless issues and would like to flash it with stock or Merlin, but they are worried about me changing things since it is Tmo's property.
    I have found some threads in Tmo's forums about them not keeping up with updates, but nothing about anyone getting their hand slapped if given back with alternate firmware on it.

Any thoughts?

10. Almighty1

Almighty1 Regular Contributor

Assuming the original firmware is available, you can always reflash it back to stock when needed to return to TMobile or you can always corrupt the flash when you return it so that they will just have to fix it.

11. Lowcarb

Lowcarb New Around Here

JGrose the 1st one I converted was at Firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3108. I had not run across your trick at that time so I downgraded that one by booting into the CFE loader.
    I got a 2nd one this week (certified refurbished was about $20 less what I considered to already be a great price on a new one) . It came with Firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3181 . I tried your upgrade. I was able to make the radio buttons appear but when they were applied it did not enable telnet. Bithead also reported a similar experience. T-Mobile CellSpot. What levels of firmware were you able to get this to operate on?

I was able to get the CFE loader to appear on the latest one also and was able to downgrade , upgrade it also. It was easier the 2nd time. If I do one more I might be efficient. This is a darn nice router for the cost.

12. Lowcarb

Lowcarb New Around Here

Maybe this procedure will help you
    T-Mobile CellSpot
    I just converted one with firmware ......3181 and I didn't have any issue getting into the miniCFE loader and downgrading to 1703

13. Ryan_C

Ryan_C New Around Here

Anyone help please? Tried this and the link above (e.g. incognito, WPS button, etc.)... still can't get the MiniCFE to show. Mine is on _3181, purchased in Nov 2016. Is it possible that Asus/TM blocked these methods on units came out recently?

14. Devang Patel

Lowcarb, thanks for sharing. I finally got it to work with the T-Mobile CellSpot procedure you sent the link for. I had used the same procedure before but it didn't work. This time I tried it on a different computer and it worked.

I think one of the following might have been causing a problem when I first tried (putting this in red to get others attention):
    1. USB to Ethernet adapter (no Ethernet port on laptop)
    2. When the router is put into AP mode it will ask if you want it to get an IP address via DHCP (I said no and manually gave it 192.168.29.1)
    3. Firewall software
    4. Faulty Ethernet cable (doubt it though)

Other folks who are having issues might want to check the items I mentioned above. Or make a clean virtual machine to use. It is possible to downgrade the 3181 firmware. Good luck to you!

15. Devang Patel

Lowcarb sent me this: T-Mobile CellSpot procedure. I had used the same procedure before but it didn't work. This time I tried it on a different computer and it worked (or you can make a virtual machine).

I think one of the following might have been causing a problem when I first tried (putting this in red to get others attention):
    1. USB to Ethernet adapter (no Ethernet port on laptop)
    2. When the router is put into AP mode it will ask if you want it to get an IP address via DHCP (I said no and manually gave it 192.168.29.1)
    3. Firewall software
    4. Faulty Ethernet cable (doubt it though)

Other folks who are having issues might want to check the items I mentioned above. It is possible to downgrade the 3181 firmware. Good luck to you!

16. effortless

effortless Regular Contributor

Anyone able to get two of these routers running the AiMesh beta firmware to communicate? I followed the instructions, but the master router can't ever find the node router. Wondering if using these instead of retail RT-AC68U routers makes a difference?

17. Ryan_C

Ryan_C New Around Here

FINALLY!! Got this to work!

The lesson learned in my case is: after Resetting NVRAM and before Recovery Mode (after 4 Step above), you need to go into GUI and set it to AP Mode. This was not mentioned in the instruction above. The router will go into Wireless Router Mode by default! Help this gonna help.

18. dude6156

dude6156 Occasional Visitor

Goggles99, the CFE flashes and I do see that the MAC addresses changed, with the third one now +4 from the other two. But these MAC addresses do not change after I install the AiMesh firmware. Cause for concern ?

19. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

What you see in the AiMesh interface should reflect what is in the CFE. If it doesn't then perhaps an old one is cached in NVRAM.

You don't want two identical mac addresses on the same subnet. It can increase latency and cause other problems,

20. ptwat

ptwat Occasional Visitor

I have two AC68Us that I have trying to configure one as router and the other as an AP. The are former TM AC1900 that I have gone through the process of converting them to 68Us (good to this part). I downloaded the 11/17 firmware and flashed both, logged into #1 and set as a aimesh router and #2 as aimesh node. I verified that the node thinks it is a node and the router thinks it is a router. When I try to get the router to discover the node is thinks for about 5 minutes and says it cannot find the a node when I have a enet cable connecting them. I tried the factory reset on both and restarted the process but no luck. My questions are these:
    Does the router have to be connected to the internet? ( I am doing this offline and local so that my family does not have to suffer without internet access)
    Should the router and node be cable connected or wireless connected? I have failed with both arrangements