What's new

Tcpdump shows vpn dns queries

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goobi

Regular Contributor
Hi community,

I got PIA vpn configured on my 86u router with policy rules. The VPN DNS gets pushed down to the clients and dnsleaktest on them show the VPN DNS. However, I was testing out DoT and running tcpdump to see if I see any traffic on port 53. Aside for a few time lookups from the router itself, I see all the queries from my VPN DNS. Is this normal? Is this considered a DNS leak?

Thanks in advance

Hi community,

I got PIA vpn configured on my 86u router with policy rules. The VPN DNS gets pushed down to the clients and dnsleaktest on them show the VPN DNS. However, I was testing out DoT and running tcpdump to see if I see any traffic on port 53. Aside for a few time lookups from the router itself, I see all the queries from my VPN DNS. Is this normal? Is this considered a DNS leak?

Thanks in advance

This sounds like not a DNS leak, since tcpdump is picking up the query before it enters the tunnel.
Without knowing more about your setup, that's my initial hunch.

[edit]

To confirm that hunch, I'd follow along these kind of steps:
  • Assuming TCPDump is on the router itself, and testing is done from wifi/wired clients
  • Visit a new and unique domain name from the client (e.g., www.ihavenotvsitiedthissitebefore.net)
  • Watch all the TCPDump log for that domain
  • You should notice that the router received a query on the LAN for that domain
  • You should also notice that the router did not send a query on the WAN for that domain.
  • If all of the above are true... it should be indicative of no DNS leak.

Last edited:
Thanks, tcpdump is on the router and I will continue to monitor using the above as a guide.