What's new

TeamViewer Remote Access Crashing my AC-68 Router or How to Create Multiple WANs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just Checking

Regular Contributor
Background:
I just installed TeamViewer 10 software on all my servers and clients in my network so I could remotely access them and basically run the servers headless. TeamViewer is super easy to install and just works for me. I now make all my family and friends install TeamViewer on their computers so I can help them troubleshoot problems without me having to travel to their locations.

I started experiencing problems with my router (Asus RT-AC68 running the Asus-Merlin 374.43_2-069527 fork by John 9527) disconnecting from the network when I was transferring files between HDD's on servers or clients. The files are media files >2GB in size and I am usually transferring multiple files at a time (as much as 90GB). If I went to the individual client/server and transferred the files in the same way, I would have no problems. I only had the problem when I was using TeamViewer software from a client PC (HP Elitebook 8440p, 8460p, or 840G1) to switch between the different servers and clients to do the file transfers or software manipulation.

It didn't matter that I was in the network or outside the network. The router disconnect happened in either one. The router will not reboot and reconnect by itself. I have to physically do a hard reboot on the RT-AC68 router to get it to reconnect to the network. When the disconnect happens, HDD's on the servers that I am transferring data to/from often get dismounted and they have to be remounted by turning them off then on. If the drive I am transferring data from is the OS drive in a laptop, the laptop goes BSOD and crashes with error codes of I/O problems - very disconcerting. I can also get the drives and computers to remount if I reboot the server or client. If I have a network connection, I can do this remotely.

My network consists of 3 - Lenovo TS-140 servers with multiple (5) gigabit ethernet ports, 1 - HP Proliant N54L Microserver with one gigabit ethernet port, 5 - HP elitebook client Laptops with single gigabit ethernet ports, multiple gigabit switches (some managed, most unmanaged), all connected by CAT6 ethernet cable.

I run multiple WAN's; all connected through an Actiontec C1000A in transfer bridge mode to a 40Mbps/20Mbps internet connection. I have no problems with the other WAN's/LAN's or the modem when the problem occurs and I don't have to reset either the modem or other routers on the other LAN's. Only the LAN that I am manipulating with the TeamViewer software disconnects.

I am in the process of trying to troubleshoot where the problem is coming from. I am trying to update the router FW to the latest ver 07 Fork to see if that resolves the problem. I am also trying to switch out the RT-AC68 router for a spare RT-AC66 router (Fork FW ver 04) to see if it is a router problem.

I have talked with half a dozen other people who use TeamViewer software on a daily basis (maybe not ver 10) and none of them have ever experienced this problem. I also sent a note to TeamViewer to see if there may be a bug in the software. Since I use the software for free (it is free for personal use) I can't really expect them to put this as a high priority for them.

Main Question:
Since I have multiple WAN's and routers, combined with servers that have multiple ethernet ports (NIC's are Intel i350-t4's), I was thinking about connecting a couple of the ethernet ports on each server to a different switch and router that has a different LAN IP address such that I could retain connectivity to the servers if one of the LAN routers dropped out. The second LAN would only be connected to the 3 servers that have multiple ethernet connections. I would not be able to "see" the other clients and server that is on the first LAN if the router on the first LAN dropped out but I want to be able to keep the connection to the servers going if the first LAN fails.

Is this scheme reasonable? Would there be conflicts that I need to be aware of? Since TeamViewer connects to the server/client by a unique identifier, would there be a problem if TeamViewer "saw" the same device on multiple WAN's with different IP addresses?

Same thing for a Plex Media Server?

For my server that runs the surveillance and control systems I use a LAN IP address for the discreet devices. Would I have to assign different IP addresses to each device on the different networks to prevent conflicts when I remoted in with the software for that system?

I know that these are probably questions that are specific to my network and hence difficult to answer. I am just trying to determine if it is possible in the first place and whether there is an easier solution that other people have implemented. I have to believe that this is not unique for enterprise level networks - maybe I can use those techniques for myself.

Thanks in advance.