Terrible WiFi performance after MerlinASUS firmware update

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

jadog

Regular Contributor
After updating to AsusMerline 386.1_2 firmware on my RT-AC88U, my WiFi performance is randomly awful...to the point of being unusable. I am forced to connect my laptop with a network cable just to be able to use the internet. It seems to improve after I reboot the router. But then after several devices connect again wirelessly, the performance drops significantly again. A few times a week the router even seems to lose internet connectivity entirely (the red led indicator for the internet appears) and after a few minutes it comes back online. I have factory restored my router and re-configured everything but the behavior continues. Any thoughts?

John Fitzgerald

After updating to AsusMerline 386.1_2 firmware on my RT-AC88U, my WiFi performance is randomly awful...to the point of being unusable. I am forced to connect my laptop with a network cable just to be able to use the internet. It seems to improve after I reboot the router. But then after several devices connect again wirelessly, the performance drops significantly again. A few times a week the router even seems to lose internet connectivity entirely (the red led indicator for the internet appears) and after a few minutes it comes back online. I have factory restored my router and re-configured everything but the behavior continues. Any thoughts?

Did you ever factory wipe the JFFS partition? You have to put a check in box (wipe partition at next Reboot)
Scroll all the way down to the bottom and hit Apply, then reboot.

I assume you are running a basic vanilla setup without any add on scripts because you didn't mention any and don't have your "signature section" filled out.