What's new

[Test] Asuswrt-Merlin LTS fork - Multiple items

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john9527

Part of the Furniture
Time to ask for help in testing some changes for my LTS fork. There's been quite a bit of activity lately, so multiple items have been rolled up in this test build.

• A new version of ez-ipupdate that now supports HTTPS for updating your DDNS service (thanks to @theMIROn)
  • New options for Traditional QoS to set the target reserved download bandwidth for each priority level (request by @miau1)
  • Changes to the DNS over TLS configuration parameters which may result in improved stability/performance.
  • Some additional upstream changes for dnsmasq that need to be verified on the older router platforms.

For any of these items, please report your test environment (example your DDNS provider or new QoS settings), and your results (good or bad).

Things are running stable on my system, but I would exercise caution in using these builds in any critical installations.

Downloads in the Test-35T2 folder at
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ainhp1nBLzMJkEFTnFp4Sh2wvQva

Thanks in advance!

Count me in now that the RT-AC66U is included.
For reasons I wanted to stay on Merlins fw with my AC1900P.

Will pop this on when I get time tonight. Haven’t had any further dnsmasq crashes since the one you knew about.

Code:
Sep  1 13:15:41 ddns: clear ddns cache file for server/hostname change
Sep  1 13:15:41 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Sep  1 13:15:41 ddns_update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 443.
Sep  1 13:15:42 ddns_update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 17:15:41 GMT^M Server: Apache^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.6.30^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Sep  1 13:15:42 ddns_update: retval= 0, ddns_return_code (,200)
Sep  1 13:15:42 ddns_update: asusddns_update: 0
Sep  1 13:15:42 ddns: ddns update ok

Thank you very much Creator is the first time that someone listens to my prayer and grants it.

Now I do not have to go back to Tomato, because QoS works better, OpenVPN is better, have DNS over TLS, better web GUI, no bugs, etc and the most important a friendly creator who loves his followers.

Thank you very much for this gift.

These are my settings: (I have 2 versions)

Version 1: It can be used in Asuswrt-Merlin and [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin LTS
In this version, Default Priority Level is Low. (It is the Default in Asuswrt-Merlin and you can not change it)

So that anyone can enjoy these settings, you just have to change:
  1. Default Priority Level to "Low" (All the traffic of ports that do not have rules will go here)
  2. Add those 6 rules in the same order.
  3. Change the Minimum/Maximum Bandwidth in Upload and Download of the Priorities, as in the image below.
  4. In "The Highest Priority packet" untick: ACK, SYN, FIN, RST (Do not untick ICMP)
  • Now you just have to add rules according to their needs:
    1. Highest for VoIP and Gaming ports. (DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 in Highest Priority!)
    2. High for Web Surf and enter the Games Lobby quickly. (The games use port 80 and 443 for this)
    3. Medium for File Transfer and Watch videos.
    4. Low for Other ports. (This Priority is for ports that do not have a rule)
    5. Lowest for Bulk Traffic.
  • Just Add rules for ports in Highest, High, Medium and Lowest Priorities that you do not want to be in Low Priority. (Ports that do not have a rule)
  • DO NOT add ports in the Low Priority.
QoS Traffic Manager: -15% Upload and Download
ZPtpOSc.png

QoS Rules: (Guide: The best QoS for Gaming and Everything else!)
Code:
    Name                                  Port                     Protocol       Transferred       Priority
    ****                                  ****                     ********       ***********       ********
#1  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP             53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        0-10              Highest
#2  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP 10KB+       53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        10                Lowest
#3  HTTP, HTTP Proxy, QUIC                80,8080                  TCP/UDP        0-1536            High
#4  HTTPS, QUIC                           443                      TCP/UDP        0-1536            High
#5  File Transfer                         80,443,8080              TCP/UDP        1536              Medium
#6  qBittorrent uTP                       6881:6889                TCP/UDP                          Lowest

- Only add port of VoIP or Consoles/Games that you play in the Priority Highest.
- DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 of the Consoles/Games in Highest Priority! (There are already rules for these ports #3, #4 and #5)
- ADD any rule for port and priority, below the rule #6 qBittorrent uTP
Gaming Rules: (See an Example at the end of the post)

QoS Priorities:
YNtsnTq.png

Version 2: It can only be used in [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin LTS, because you can change Default Priority Level.
In this version, Default Priority Level is High. (As in FreshJR Adaptive QoS)

So that anyone can enjoy these settings, you just have to change:
  1. Default Priority Level to "High" (All the traffic of ports that do not have rules will go here)
  2. Add those 6 rules in the same order.
  3. Change the Minimum/Maximum Bandwidth in Upload and Download of the Priorities, as in the image below.
  4. In "The Highest Priority packet" untick: ACK, SYN, FIN, RST (Do not untick ICMP)
  • Now you just have to add rules according to their needs:
    1. Highest for VoIP and Gaming ports. (DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 in Highest Priority!)
    2. High for Other ports. (This Priority is for ports that do not have a rule)
    3. Medium for Web Surf and enter the Games Lobby quickly. (The games use port 80 and 443 for this)
    4. Low for File Transfer and Watch videos.
    5. Lowest for Bulk Traffic.
  • Just add rules for ports in Highest, Medium, Low and Lowest Priorities that you do not want to be in High Priority. (Ports that do not have a rule)
  • DO NOT add ports in the High Priority.
QoS Traffic Manager: -15% Upload and Download
PtW3J12.png

QoS Rules: (Guide: The best QoS for Gaming and Everything else!)
Code:
    Name                                  Port                     Protocol       Transferred       Priority
    ****                                  ****                     ********       ***********       ********
#1  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP             53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        0-10              Highest
#2  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP 10KB+       53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        10                Lowest
#3  HTTP, HTTP Proxy, QUIC                80,8080                  TCP/UDP        0-1536            Medium
#4  HTTPS, QUIC                           443                      TCP/UDP        0-1536            Medium
#5  File Transfer                         80,443,8080              TCP/UDP        1536              Low
#6  qBittorrent uTP                       6881:6889                TCP/UDP                          Lowest

- Only add port of VoIP or Consoles/Games that you play in the Priority Highest.
- DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 of the Consoles/Games in Highest Priority! (There are already rules for these ports #3, #4 and #5)
- ADD any rule for port and priority, below the rule #6 qBittorrent uTP
Gaming Rules: (See an Example at the end of the post)

QoS Priorities:
O4Wqdwl.png

Game Ports
DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 of the games in Highest Priority (already exists a rule for these ports)

Gaming Rules: (Example, these are rules that everyone must add according to their needs)
You must choose which version to use, that's why I left blank the Priority of the rules for ports 80, 443 and 8080:
8WTlnpy.png

Last edited:
My last request Creator, Can you add these settings in QoS, update the ones that have QoS for these, so that anyone can enjoy these settings.

If you do not want there is no problem, I am already very grateful to add the option Download Minimum reserved Bandwidth in QoS.

nSJsmKI.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: il2
My last request Creator, Can you add these settings in QoS, update the ones that have QoS for these, so that anyone can enjoy these settings, You only have to change:
  1. Default Priority Level to "High"
  2. Add those 6 rules in the same order (Important, "Medium" always has to be as last rule)
  3. Change the Minimum, Maximum Limit in Upload and Download, leave it as in the image above.
  4. In "The Highest Priority packet" untick: ACK, SYN, FIN, RST (no untick ICMP)
Thank you very much for this gift.
The default priority level is already configurable. As is the rest of that stuff.

The default priority level is already configurable. As is the rest of that stuff.
I know, what I'm asking is that the Creator use my setting as default (Update default setting with these), because they are simple and one of the best configurations for QoS and easy to add ports.

Last edited:
I know, what I'm asking is that I use my setting as default, because it's simple and one of the best configurations for QoS and easy to add ports, first delete the rule #6 Medium and add a new rule with the port, Priority that you want and after recreate the Medium rule.

Always the Medium rule has to be the last.
Your settings might be good for you but that doesn't mean they would be good for everyone else. They wouldn't work very well at all for my requirements. I notice that despite you spamming the linksys forum with your "best" settings nobody actually came back and agreed (or disagreed) with you.

So rather than telling users what settings they should be using when you don't know their requirements, it would be best IMHO to leave the rules fairly basic so that people can configure them for themselves.

because they are simple and one of the best configurations for QoS
Those are neither simple nor the best. If they’re working for you, that’s good. But they’re not going to be good default settings for many, let alone most users.

You can read my posts again #5 and #6 please, Already fix my rules now they are super easy, you do not have to worry about the High rule, I had forgotten that the Priority used in Default Priority Level will always be a priority where ports that no have rule will go and High Priority ports will always be as last rules (because I use that Priority in Default Priority Level), before I was using the High priority for that manually, but now it's automatically, I already fix a problem in my settings now they're perfect. :p

With these settings people will have an idea of how QoS works and already just with those rules works great and only need add ports without knowing what are you doing.

Last edited:
No they are not. Maybe for you but not other people.
Agreed! Way too many junk settings! Thought you said DNS et. al. did not need a QOS entry because they are on the WAN side of the firewall?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I update the way for test Download Minimum bandwidth, but it does not let me post more than 5 images then I create another post.

For a quick test I use these 3 applications:
- Firefox or IDM
- Chrome
- QoS Statistics in the router, but it is necessary to click every second in Refresh or Netlimiter.

01. I configure in this way QoS:

I add 5 MB to not download the files quickly and I have time to test.
I07K04N.png

I Delete all the rules and add these 2 only:
- Rule #1 Port: 80 - Priority: Highest
- Rule #2 Port: 443 - Priority: Lowest
YpAYkb2.png

I set Priorities in this way:
lgAerqx.png

02. I downloaded this Mediafire file that uses port 80 through Firefox: Test port 80 Priority Highest

03. I downloaded this MEGA file that uses port 443 through Chrome: Test port 443 Priority Lowest

04. I use QoS Statistics or Netlimiter see the bandwidth that each application is using.
- Before Firefox used 90% of the bandwidth and Chrome only 10% and there was no way to change that.
- Now in this version I increased 80% the Priority Lowest in Download Minimum bandwidth and the others I reduce to 5% , then I look at QoS Statistics or Netlimiter as the bandwidth increase 80% in Chrome, that is downloading the file with port 443 (Priority Lowest)
- I do this test for each Priority for Rule #1 (port 80) until I get to Low
r8cJgmq.png

- Then I repeat this same test but now changing the Priority for Rule #2 port 443
qB2uG05.png

Last edited:
Still using 34E7. Stubby has been up for nearly 19 hours. Hasn't switched from 9.9.9.9 but there has been 108 Conn_shuts out of 1628 Conns. The Conn_shuts tend to come in batches rather than being spread out. I suspect 9.9.9.9 is just not very reliable in my location.
Code:
[16:39:02.288841] STUBBY: 9.9.9.9                                  : Conn opened: TLS - Strict Profile
[16:39:04.485905] STUBBY: 9.9.9.9                                  : Conn closed: TLS - Resps=     2, Timeouts  =     0, Curr_auth =Success, Keepalive(ms)=  2000
[16:39:04.486098] STUBBY: 9.9.9.9                                  : Upstream   : TLS - Resps=  3835, Timeouts  =    20, Best_auth =Success
[16:39:04.486219] STUBBY: 9.9.9.9                                  : Upstream   : TLS - Conns=  1628, Conn_fails=     0, Conn_shuts=    108, Backoffs     =     0

I did try running it with idle_timeout back at 10s but timeout left at 2s just to see what happened. It went back to frequently switching servers in exactly the same way as it had originally done.

I did try running it with idle_timeout back at 10s but timeout left at 2s justc to see what happened. It went back to frequently switching servers in exactly the same way as it had originally done.
What I did with the timeout change is make it a bit more persistent in trying to reconnect. The defaults were: timeout 5 sec with two retries....I flipped it to timeout 2 sec and five retries.

OK everyone...let's stop the 'food fight' on QoS defaults. The best QoS values will be different for everyone depending on your focus (games, VOIP, browsing) and the unknown factor of how what your ISP connection is like (speeds and they way they do shaping). I think the defaults as is are a a good starting point for someone just getting started in trying to use QoS.

So, @miau1 , the defaults aren't going to change. I will, however, come up with a change to fix the bandwidth values field wrap that makes the tables not line up correctly :)

What I did with the timeout change is make it a bit more persistent in trying to reconnect. The defaults were: timeout 5 sec with two retries....I flipped it to timeout 2 sec and five retries.
Seems sensible. I was reading up on how a Windows client times its retries. My thinking was that there's not much point in Stubby trying for (say) 30 seconds when the client gives up after 10 seconds. Looks like 10 seconds is the magic number though. :) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2834226/net-dns-dns-client-resolution-timeouts

Reactions: il2
Edit: already discovered the problem, QoS does not work correctly, if you do not have the 5 priorities active.

If only you use 2 or 3 or 4 in QoS, Minimum reserved for download does not work. (I think upload does not have this problem)

If you use the Highest priority category and at the same time you are using the High and Lowest priority, but you do not have the other priorities active like this:
F7ciKQk.png

QoS Minimum reserved does not work, below Highest the priorities only use a 5% minimum.

To fix this problem all priorities must be activated. (These rules are only for test Minimum reserved)
rKfsnRN.png

I do not add High because I am using this priority as default.
GogpnEj.png

Now QoS Minimum reserved in Download works without problems!
fE9Otu1.png

PS: For me this is not a problem because in my settings I use all the priorities, but I was curious why only when I wanted to test the Minimum reserved in the priorities one by one gave me this error.
- My settings
- How test Minimum bandwidth

Last edited: