What's new

[Test build] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 alpha builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Early test builds for 380.65 have been uploaded to Mediafire's Test Builds folder. To summarize past and current test builds:

alpha 1
Upgrade to Busybox 1.25.1

alpha 2
Upgrade to OpenVPN 2.4 RC2

alpha 3
Merge with GPL 4180
Upgrade to OpenVPN 2.4 final (almost no change versus RC2)

alpha 4
Security fixes
Implemented tls-crypt support in OpenVPN (encrypt the TLS control channel traffic)
update-notification user script run when new FW is available

Important notes:
  • The RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC56U and RT-AC3200 are experimental. Asus didn't provide the 4180 GPL for these models (or in the case of some models, the provided GPL was missing all closed source components). If you use any of these models, please test general functionality more thoroughly, especially wifi, and the LED states
  • The Network Analysis/WOL/Connections bug from 4180 has been fixed

The complete commit log since 380.64:

Code:
f6624a8 samba36: add a few minor optimizations based on the BRT-AC828's GPL
ea0cbe6 rc: new update-notification user script that gets run if a new firmware is available for download
3761d25 openvpn: implement tls-crypt support
e91db69 webui: Display warning if you enable a setting on the OpenVPN server page that will generate a .ovpn client file that will require clients to be running 2.4.0 or newer
9183ca4 openvpn: make legacy "lzo" and "no" compression modes use legacy config keywords in the generated ovpn client file
8871721 httpd: replace a few sprintf() calls with snprintf() where the input might be larger than expected
8a26f54 openvpn: default port for server 2 changed to 1195, so both servers on default settings can be started at the same time
ad2c5fc webui: fix the formatting for the openvpn server reset to default warning
8c387c9 httpd: Fix size detection (char * = 4, versus the actual buffer being 64)
002c2a5 Updated documentation
b084cd6 Updated documentation
8aa1424 dropbear: fix commit 085ce27e319e0fa6b23192e812aba4cf9243a5f9
b9fcc74 httpd: protect against potential buffer overrun in case of hostname > 63 characters
8056c9c httpd: prevent buffer overrun/crash
085ce27 dropbear: remove hardcoded -a option from the daemon launch
f72183c dropbear: initialize variable and protect against NULL dereferencement
e22e753 dropbear: initialize variable
46b6ac2 cloudcheck: updated SDK7 exe (missed in 4180 GPL merge)
e3652ac Updated documentation
fbd9c7e Bumped revision to alpha 4
263a40c openvpn: remove webui support for the RC ciphers.  DES is kept for now, for legacy reasons.
e2e83cf nano: updated to 2.7.3 (closes #1172)
38ba303 openvpn: Replace obsoleted "client-cert-not-required" with "verify-client-cert none"
bd291a8 webui: revert f12db7dcd2dd93cde9759d4d5be8a1295655d066 to fix hitbox position on the checkbox (closes #1167); fix installed version display
3f0224c webui: fix index position of the Tools menu

9888f70 shared: remove old fallback code from when we were missing numerous shared/private.o blobs
800de06 shared: re-sync shared/misc.c with GPL
bc1c1ab shared: revert build hack for the RT-AC87U since we now have up-to-date binary blobs for it
e280d88 busybox: sync-up with John's fork, adding the ntpd, time, uniq and getopt applets
ca01313 webui: convert connection time into a number when sorting, so 10 hours > 9 hours
58c6fdb webui: winWidth can end up being non-initialized - provide a default value to prevent a JS error.
8c6d8ce openvpn: Updated to 2.4.0 final
b2b72c3 webui: fix hiding/showing the firmware path checkbox (switch to Asus's new element id)
4db182b webui/httpd: fix broken tools (ping/traceroute/netstat/wol) in 4180 by submitting the form using POST instead of GET method
2ade828 Merged with GPL 380_4180 (missing MIPS and AC3200 binary blobs)
faa90a2 Bump revision to alpha 3

b94acd8 openvpn: re-add local definitions of TUN ioctl values that were only added in kernel 2.6.23 headers, but used to be defined here in OpenVPN 2.3
5f1958d build: OpenVPN fails to build on MIPS because of strict ANSI (disabling the __u64 def), switch from c99 to gnu99
86d718d Updated documentation
32e0b6d openvpn: set up firewall before starting openvpn server
e920e9e updown: remove unnecessary restart of dnsmasq
1ffc4b2 openvpn: remove unnecessary restart of dnsmasq when starting clients
45b6448 openvpn: shutdown all running servers/clients on wan stop and remove tunnel modules
73c9b47 openvpn: fix multiple issues in stopping vpn services
dcd506c Updated documentation
2e150ce openvpn: Use sha256 for key/certs generated by Easy-RSA (used by key/certs auto-generated by the firmware)
6cb9c00 openvpn: Format client.ovpn file for DOS, so Windows's notepad (the default OpenVPN GUI editor) can edit it.
5efb1d9 openvpn: client config must not contain the client option when using pre-shared key auth
9c32ab1 openvpn: Added LZ4 and NCP support to the webui and the ovpn import function.  Replace tls-remote option that was removed in 2.4.
9491635 openvpn: merge with OpenVPN 2.4.0 RC2, to begin testing and integration ahead of the final release
50e2359 build: give .sha256 file extension to the checksum file included in the distribution
0ca3fd4 rc: give priority to user-configured hostname rather than the hardcoded Asus ones when generating the hosts file (closes #1147).
e8e18ac Bumped revision to alpha 2

2306f48 busybox: Enabled xargs applet
9b6ef84 Merge branch 'bb125' - Busybox upgrade to 1.25.1.
0bbf16b Bumped revision to 380.65 alpha 1
14fd744 curl: fix openssl support on MIPS models
1cfa061 rc: check cstats_enable when setting fa mode on init

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49/Test_Builds

This is a work-in-progress, so more changes are bound to occur before the beta stage. I will also be waiting a bit before publishing these to the update server to ensure nothing major is broken.

Please keep the feedback in this thread to this specific version. No support is provided for this builds.

Last edited:
@RMerlin There is a mismatch of information between the site and the github page. The site states that AC66U B1 is not supported and on the github page says to use AC68U firmware. Would you mind clarifying? I assume github info is correct since it was updated 8 days ago. Also since I'm on the verge of buying one, does AC66U support QoS with wrt-merlin? Them newer models have umm... Very steep pricing.

I think the "Other" tab is missing from the tools section.

2rOdv

http://imgur.com/a/2rOdv

I downloaded the RT-AC68U_380.65_alpha3-g9888f70.zip about an hour ago here in TX (CST [GMT -06:00]). The download took 8+ mins when in the past downloads from mediafire have taken less than a minute.

I did a speedtest while the download was in progress. My test indicated 108.72 Mbit/s down so doubtful this issue was with my ISP.

The upside, the install, reboot, etc. thus far with this alpha3 has been painless.

Opps! I can confirm the issues that @win465 and @LouisvilleUK just typed about.

Last edited:
I just loaded alpha 3 on an 88U. The view by interface (2.4, 5, wired) has become much slower. On the last build it was virtually instantaneous. It now takes a minute or two to build.

87U here, coming from 63.2 and no factory reset, all seems fine so far (including ab-s0lution and pixelserv-tls). One of my two OpenVPN servers started up, the other didn't.

Download at 5PM ET for me was around 30 seconds.

View by interface loads instantaneous, around 25 clients.

Same observation about Tools tabs.

@RMerlin you got a busybox folder in your mediafire hosting site for the firmware

That's because I tried to create separate folders to move the older builds in, and the file management application crashed without showing whether it has succeeded in creating the first folder or not.

There is a mismatch of information between the site and the github page. The site states that AC66U B1 is not supported and on the github page says to use AC68U firmware. Would you mind clarifying?

I only got one last week to test things out, and since then I've simply not looked at every single place where there was a separate list of supported models to update it. I'm gradually trying to centralize all information on the Wiki to make things easier to manage, but it's still a work in progress.

Not only that but the tab is labeled "Guest Network" instead of the usual "Sysinfo"

When I say that the Asuswrt webui code is a disaster, this is just one example. The whole menu generation code is complete garbage, to be blunt. Take a look at state.js, and you'll see what I mean.

just loaded alpha 3 on an 88U. The view by interface (2.4, 5, wired) has become much slower. On the last build it was virtually instantaneous. It now takes a minute or two to build.

Nothing changed there.

RT-AC88u in ap mode (coming from 380.64 final /w nvram reset)
Well it seems Asus did a downgrade on wl version?

/tmp/home/root# wl ver
1.369 RC1.0
wl0: May 12 2016 11:14:24 version 10.10.69.6904 (r635567) FWID 01-c9c84353

380.65a3
/tmp/home/root# wl ver
1.363 RC45.58013
wl0: Sep 12 2016 13:26:39 version 10.10.69.6908 (r658761) FWID 01-5982b91d

Last edited:
Just loaded Alpha 3 on AC-RT1900P (AC68U code) - same misnamed / missing tab problem in tools as previously reported, but if you click on the highlighted 'here' link shown at "Administration - Firmware Upgrade>Scheduled new firmware check", the "Tools - Other Settings" data appears in a single tab labeled "Guest Network". It's a workaround, although not pretty... I guess I'll let it run for a while and see if there's anything else to report.

That's because I tried to create separate folders to move the older builds in, and the file management application crashed without showing whether it has succeeded in creating the first folder or not.

I only got one last week to test things out, and since then I've simply not looked at every single place where there was a separate list of supported models to update it. I'm gradually trying to centralize all information on the Wiki to make things easier to manage, but it's still a work in progress.

When I say that the Asuswrt webui code is a disaster, this is just one example. The whole menu generation code is complete garbage, to be blunt. Take a look at state.js, and you'll see what I mean.

Nothing changed there.
Power cycling seems to have resolved the slow client list by interface issue I was seeing.

Installed it in my RT-AC56U. Except the problem already reported with the httpd and the "Tools" menu nothing else observed so far. Well, except the known side effect of using *that* wireless driver...

I ended up rolling back to alpha 2. Alpha 3 was causing issues with the clients that control my sonos music system. They no longer could find the network. rebooting the clients (both PC and IOS) did not resolve the issue. I'm running Sonos totally wifi based, not with their router add on device to form a mesh network. After rolling back to alpha 2, all was good with sonos again.

Got a wierd issue on 5ghz the networks comes to a halt when its put under preasure.

If my laptop is downloading a game from steam and my mediacenter is playing file over the network (not http just smb) then it can all come to a halt both clients stall until i disconnect the wifi from the laptop.

this didnt happen in alpha 2 started upon alpha 3.

Noticed the following issues in alpha3 (Asus RT68U):

- WebUI missing tools (already mentioned)
- Wifi 5G takes about 2-3 min after reboot to come online. Whereas 2.4ghz channel about 45sec-60sec.
- IGMP proxy not starting automatically after reboot. Need to start manually. Now added to /jffs/scripts/services-start
- OpenVPN 2.4 in tun mode slower than on OpenVPN 2.3. Before upgrade I got 60-70Mbit (No cipher, no compression). After upgrade I only got 40-50Mbit.
- OpenVPN 2.4 with tap mode same speed as before: 60-70Mbit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.