What's new

[Test builds] 380.58 alpha builds are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I have uploaded alpha 3 builds for the 380.58 release. These are still work-in-progress, and only the RT-AC88U build has received any extensive testing, so use at your own risks!

EDIT (28-Feb-2016): I have uploaded updated builds (380-58 alpha3-gcf77301). Changes since the initial alpha 3 release:

Code:
cf77301 openvpn: Mark OpenVPN traffic for CTF bypass
bcc5cc4 fw: change NAT loopback mark to a single bit, and use a mask to avoid trashing other bits
05f2ee1 webui: Add setting to enable/disable the IPv6 neigh sol broadcoast drop on Comcast
3a07398 openvpn: ensure that clients set to route traffic through WAN are also excluded from DNS redirection.
976d14c rc: revert watchdog led handling code to pre-1354 as a workaround to RT-AC56U LED issues
4e221ad shared: ensure our custom led ID values don't interfere with Asus's code for cases where they rely on LED_ID_MAX
2557876 wl: Downgraded RT-AC68U driver to  6.37.14.105 (r485445).  Tested functional with both rev. A1 and C1.
3a1c0c1 Revert "openvpn: Uniformize the use of  over backticks; ensure that the fw setup script gets overwritten rather than appen

No support will be provided for these test builds. I might not be answering all posts, but will still be monitoring the feedback posted to this thread.

Noteworthy changes:

• If you enable Policy-based routing for a VPN client and you set the Accept DNS Configuration to "Exclusive", then the router will automatically configure firewall rules that will force VPN clients to use the DNS server from your OpenVPN tunnel providers, and leave the non-VPN clients on your router's usual (typically your ISP's) DNS servers. This is implemented in a similar way that DNSFilter works, so those of you using DNSFilter to force VPN clients to specific DNS servers can now remove those DNSFilter rules.
  • A few low-level/advanced settings were added to the new Tweaks section under Tools -> Other Settings. One of the settings there will allow you to disable hourly networkmap rescans, which were responsible for waking up sleeping LAN devices. Note that changing any of these settings will require a router reboot to fully be applied.
  • See the changelog for the other changes

Files can be downloaded here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49//Test Builds

Last edited:
Glad to have you back! With regard to the 68U issues, I'm guessing that this is an issues that Asus identified w/ their main firmware branch, and we will likely need to wait until the next release from them for a fix, yes?

Glad to have you back! With regard to the 68U issues, I'm guessing that this is an issues that Asus identified w/ their main firmware branch, and we will likely need to wait until the next release from them for a fix, yes?

No idea, I didn't ask them about it. I only know that the issue still exists in their latest RT-AC68U release from last month.

I have uploaded alpha 3 builds for the 380.58 release. These are still work-in-progress, and only the RT-AC88U build has received any extensive testing, so use at your own risks!

The RT-AC68U build still suffers from wireless issues for some hardware revisions, so I do not recommend running it, unless you didn't have any problem with the 380.57 release, or you get one of the newer Hardware revision C1 (see the sticker at the back).

No support will be provided for these test builds. I might not be answering all posts, but will still be monitoring the feedback posted to this thread.

Noteworthy changes:

• If you enable Policy-based routing for a VPN client and you set the Accept DNS Configuration to "Exclusive", then the router will automatically configure firewall rules that will force VPN clients to use the DNS server from your OpenVPN tunnel providers, and leave the non-VPN clients on your router's usual (typically your ISP's) DNS servers. This is implemented in a similar way that DNSFilter works, so those of you using DNSFilter to force VPN clients to specific DNS servers can now remove those DNSFilter rules.
  • A few low-level/advanced settings were added to the new Tweaks section under Tools -> Other Settings. One of the settings there will allow you to disable hourly networkmap rescans, which were responsible for waking up sleeping LAN devices. Note that changing any of these settings will require a router reboot to fully be applied.
  • See the changelog for the other changes

Files can be downloaded here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49//Test Builds
Thank you very much. Glad you are doing better. We really missed you. Take care...

No idea, I didn't ask them about it. I only know that the issue still exists in their latest RT-AC68U release from last month.

Do Asus even know the issue exists with the AC68u? Its been almost two months

Do Asus even know the issue exists with the AC68u? Its been almost two months

In the previous thread a couple forum members mentioned they had bug reports filed with Asus on this, so presumably they are working on a fix.

It is not a fix, but as a work around you can go to the 2.4 wireless settings and enable legacy mode and everything will then work normally. Although this limits 2.4 wireless to b/g mode.

In the previous thread a couple forum members mentioned they had bug reports filed with Asus on this, so presumably they are working on a fix.

It is not a fix, but as a work around you can go to the 2.4 wireless settings and enable legacy mode and everything will then work normally. Although this limits 2.4 wireless to b/g mode.
This sort of thing is what is driving me to seriously consider getting a non-Asus router as my next device. When I first got the 68U, the firmware was super buggy and crappy. Then... magic.... they fixed all of the issues after a few months, The device has been working great. Now they reintroduce some nasty bugs with a recent firmware release, and after two months, they still haven't fixed them!

This sort of thing is what is driving me to seriously consider getting a non-Asus router as my next device. When I first got the 68U, the firmware was super buggy and crappy. Then... magic.... they fixed all of the issues after a few months, The device has been working great. Now they reintroduce some nasty bugs with a recent firmware release, and after two months, they still haven't fixed them!

Anything non-Asus is only worse from my experience.

Easier to just skip the builds that don't work for you (they work for many others).

i replace now this latest alpha3 firmware over 380.57 on my rt-ac68u.....no factory reset before and after installation.....no bugs for now, router is runing near one hour....using entware, dnscrypt-proxy, ab-solution, udpxy, openvpn and overclocked CPU to 1200Mhz......thanks to all who are involved in hard working of this great firmware.....:)

EDIT: udpxy working but no streaming from IPTV....i will check a little if can solved.....
EDIT2: i must downgrade to 380.57.....udpxy do not get picture from IPTV channels....this is bug and will wait for next release firmware....

Last edited:
No glasses needed .....

work perfect for me, and have triple-vlan this is great!!, thx soooo much!!

On the point

I haven't had any luck with this. This is on a 5300 not currently using any custom scripts, with 2 VPNs both using Policy-Based Routing. I set them both to Exclusive but both use OpenDNS (the WAN DNS). DNSFilter method works perfectly fine though.

I haven't had any luck with this. This is on a 5300 not currently using any custom scripts, with 2 VPNs both using Policy-Based Routing. I set them both to Exclusive but both use OpenDNS (the WAN DNS). DNSFilter method works perfectly fine though.

Check the System Log to ensure that your tunnel provider actually pushes a DNS to you. It's working fine for me using vpnbook.

Seems the AC56U build is bugged from the above comments, probably from outdated binary blobs. I'll ignore this branch for now until ASUS decides to update their code.