What's new

text config file?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

I have an RT-AC68P. Is there any way to get a text version of the configuration file? The one that is exported via the web interface appears to be binary.

If you switch to Merlin firmware you can run a backup/restore tool which is more human readable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an RT-AC68P. Is there any way to get a text version of the configuration file? The one that is exported via the web interface appears to be binary.

Code:
nvram show > /file/location/data.txt

Thanks, Mr. Merlin. I presumed your suggestion was a cmd line input, so I connected to the router via telnet (first time ever tried cmd line access). I got the file, but how do I get the file to my computer?

The file contents is not very user-friendly :(

. I got the file, but how do I get the file to my computer?

Either store it on a USB disk (/mnt/sda1/file.txt), or don't redirect it, and copy/paste it from your console.

he file contents is not very user-friendly :(

Don't know what else you are expecting. NVRAM is just a series of variables with a value associated to each of them. That output is exactly that: the name of the variable, and the value associated to it.

Thank you. I guess I was expecting an organized, more human-readable output like when I've used the save settings cmd from other routers in the past. But, this is not a 'save settings' cmd. I didn't think about it being just a bunch of raw data in memory (which I think that is what it is). Thank you for the help.

I didn't think about it being just a bunch of raw data in memory (which I think that is what it is).

It's not. Look at the output, they're a series of varname=value lines. You could reapply any of them just by using:

Code:
nvram set varname="value"
nvram commit

A lot of these values are low-level settings that aren't user-editable (like the various wifi calibration settings). If you look at those related to the webui settings (like dhcp_staticlist), they're fairly readable lists.

You can get a sorted list this way:

Code:
nvram show | sort

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!