What's new

The Facebookening of Oculus VR

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

appleseed

Regular Contributor
via arstechnica:
[Update, 4:40pm EDT: After this article's publication, a Facebook representative clarified to Ars Technica that this restriction is even more severe than we previously understood. "All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account," the representative wrote.]

didn't occur to me until I saw this mentioned below the article. In the strictest technical legal sense, your kids and nephews/nieces under 13 yrs this Christmas are going to be hopping mad about this. Unless you create a dummy account for them. And you have to monitor it. Probably against TOS as we already have problems with fake accounts. Or worse just share your own account with them.

Such a bad idea. And I'm surprised no shareholder told them to at least wait till January to announce this. Facepalm.

I'm surprised Facebook waited so long to do this after they bought Oculus. It's the same as with any other of the big 5. You buy a device from their ecosystem, you have to turn over your user data.

I guess you could create a Facebook account, but simply not use it and not provide any info beside the required basics (name and email address). Just use it as your Oculus login credentials.

Well you could create an account with a false name and throw away email address, then use a VPN to thwart their intrusion or better still have thousands of people do the sensible thing and tell farcebook to get stuffed.

Walk away , delete facebook , Instagram and WhatsApp , get a life nobody really needs any of them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!