What's new

The Netgear R7000 is possessed (in a good way) with MerlinWRT/XWRT-Vortex

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcodt

Occasional Visitor
Hello Everyone,

For the past couple of years or so, I've been playing around with different routers using both stock and merlin's firmware. My current R7000 flashed with XWRT-Vortex has always been the most reliable for some reason.

I have not moved my setup so the modem/routers have always been placed in the same area of my house. I've tried WiFi 5/6 modems from TPLINK (stock firmware), an Asus AX11000 with merlins and stock firmware, and most recently, an AX88U with merlins. I've tried copying my router config over to the new routers as well as starting fresh.

For some reason, the R7000 never drops my connection nor do I get ping spikes and/or loss of speed which is why I keep going back to it. The other routers would randomly shoot my ping up high and/or disconnect. They would go from full signal to poor signal randomly while on both 2.4 and 5.0 bands. I really don't see how a more powerful router(s) can perform worse than my R7000. I actually have 3 of them but only one is set up at the moment. I tried the two other single R7000's in my setup to confirm and they were solid as well. It's a shame because the newer stuff "supposedly" offers better reliable speeds.

Has anyone had this experience before? I am in the market for a new router but unsure of what to go with. I did recently snag an AC86U for $100 but when I went to copy over my R7000 config, it corrupts - it picks up the SSID bands but it says "No Internet" when connecting to them. The Ethernet ports do not work either after copying the config. I've had to factory reset it a couple of times now but haven't had the time to reconnect all of my devices but I am worried about doing that in case it's worse than my current R7000.

All help appreciated!

1. You cannot copy the config file from one Asus router to another. Not even if it's the same model let alone a completely different hardware platform like the AC86U and AX88U routers are.

2. XWRT-Vortex is illegal firmware and not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!