What's new

the usb port on my new ups is dead

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cns00

New Around Here
i recently bought an eaton 5e650iusb and i connected it to the back usb port of my ds920+. after 6 hours the nas lost connection to the ups and the back usb port of the nas was disabled and it's not detecting an external hard disk if i connect it to the back usb port of the nas. the external hard disk light switches on but the external hard disk doesn't show under external devices in the dsm. i had to restart the nas and that enabled the back usb port of the nas and it detected the external hard disk when i connected it to the back usb port of the nas

the usb port on the ups is definitely dead. if i open the device manager on my pc and i plug in any external device by usb then the device manager will refresh. also if i unplug that external device then again the device manager refreshes. if i plug in the ups to my pc by usb then the device manager doesn't refresh and nothing happens and the same thing happens if i unplug the ups

the usb port on the ups can die either because of physical damage or an electric short happened in the port

i want to ask if it died due to an electric short then what caused it? did my nas cause the short circuit in the usb port of the ups or there was bad quality control on the ups and i bought a bad ups which spoilt fast?

if i connect a usb hub to the usb port in the nas and then i connect the usb wire of the ups into the usb hub and a short circuit happened in the usb port of the ups then what will happen? will the usb hub protect the usb port of the nas and if anything bad were to happen then it will happen to the usb hub then the usb port of the nas is safe? will the usb port on the nas get disabled if an electric short happened in the usb port of the ups and there is a usb hub connected to the usb port of the nas?

Your NAS likely has USB 3 ports while the UPS likely has a USB 2 port. Maybe the cable used is the issue. Should use the cable that came with the UPS. I use an APC UPS and outside of replacing the battery have never had problems with it and my Synology.

the ups doesnt come with a usb cable. i had to buy a usb cable

the usb port on the ups is dead and i guess its due to a manufacture defect

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!