What's new

Things to do to maximize router security?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heehee62

Occasional Visitor
What kind of things can I do with my asus rt-ac66u router to maximize security?

I've forwarded port 22 cause I use sftp into my mybooklive nas and don't want to give this up. So I'm looking for methods to increase security while still being able to sftp.

I was thinking maybe there was a way to only allow certain devices into my system - like based on their mac address.

Is this true and if so, how can I do this? I take my devices everywhere so their IP address changes depending on which network I'm connected to.

Thanks.

Sadly MAC address filtering offers very low security, it is very easy to set a MAC address to anything you want.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for improving security, sftp is not bad - at least it isn't ftp. ;)

Just use a secure password and use brute-force detection - it will make it nearly impossible to break in.

Using RSA keys would make it even harder to break in.

Thanks. Turned on brute force protection - didn't realize there was that option.

Used better password too. Going to have to skip RSA keys as I'm not advanced enough to know how to do that but I think I'm satisfied enough with security now.

I have the N66u is it a good idea to enable ssh brute force protection ? Will this change how the router works in any way? It works excellent right now and don't want to screw that up. Is there any disadvantages to having it enabled ?? I also see that brute force is disabled by default.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!