What's new

Thinking of leveraging Scarf for download stats for my addons

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
One thing I find lacking in Github is that I have no visibility of how many downloads, unique downloads etc. that my addons get. This is something I can get by using something like Scarf's gateway. Obviously, I'm aware that this is essentially a form of tracking, but it is effectively no different to me hosting my own web server and tracking downloads there, except I don't have the time to securely host file downloads, and I would like the addons to still be hosted by Github. Scraf gives me this, by acting as a redirect.

I wanted to post about it here, as I am only considering at this stage, and wanted to see what the community's thoughts on this sort of thing is. Comments/suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:
One thing I find lacking in Github is that I have no visibility of how many downloads, unique downloads etc. that my addons get. This is something I can get by using something like Scarf's gateway. Obviously, I'm aware that this is essentially a form of tracking, but it is effectively no different to me hosting my own web server and tracking downloads there, except I don't have the timeto securely host file downloads, and I would like the addons to still be hosted by Github. Scraf gives me this, by acting as a redirect.

I wanted to post about it here, as I am only considering at this stage, and wanted to see what the community's thoughts on this sort of thing is. Comments/suggestions welcomed!
This sounds perfectly reasonable on your part as the developer of free add-ons!

No issues here. I also like, as a gateway, you can use any host to store your code.

BTW, I would actually like to know how many times I have downloaded your addons! Many times I'm sure ;-)

I don't like being tracked. My position on this is probably among the more extreme that you might find. I do not apologise for that.

That said, I have no problem at all with what you are suggesting because your suggestion is to track your addons and not to track any specific individual.

Also, enormous thanks for your work and for making it available the way you do.

To you, and everyone, I hope your Christmas was wonderful and 2022+ will be all you hope for.

I don't like being tracked. My position on this is probably among the more extreme that you might find. I do not apologise for that.

That said, I have no problem at all with what you are suggesting because your suggestion is to track your addons and not to track any specific individual.

Also, enormous thanks for your work and for making it available the way you do.

To you, and everyone, I hope your Christmas was wonderful and 2022+ will be all you hope for.
I don't like being tracked either and value my privacy. That's why Scarf seems like a good fit - the data is de-personalised and I'm only interested in the number of installs and updates people do, so I can see how popular a script and features are.
To be honest, Microsoft/Github probably harvest a lot more data, they just don't make it visible to repository owners!

With the time we developers spend to make what we do, it is more than justified to at least know how often our scripts are installed/updated.

With the time we developers spend to make what we do, it is more than justified to at least know how often our scripts are installed/updated.
Agree completely (as I tried to say), and thank you for your work. I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!