What's new

Third Moca adapter wont connect.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sobelsaint

New Around Here
I currently have a Alcatel fiber modem which connects to a moca adapter. I had one other moca adapter setup upstairs which connected to my Netgear wifi router and things worked great. I'm trying to connect another moca adapter and I can't get all 3 to connect to the internet. I have all 3 coax lines connected correctly and the lights are all correct but only 2 will pair with internet connection at a time. I've tried every combination with my coax splitter and have reset everything multiple times. Is there something that I am missing? I currently have cox fiber and the moca adapters are 2 Motorola versions and one Verizon labeled ecb5240. I've tried both Motorola and actiontec software flashed to the mocha devices. I've also switched the moca adapters around to different locations. Is there something possibly that cox is doing? Thank you in advance for any help.

Do any two work on the same coax ? or does the third not work when added not matter where it is added ?

Or do only the two Motorolas work together and the Verizon not work with the motorola ?

If the issue does not follow a specific moca modem does it only occur at one location or is it only when the third is connected on a specific coax segment ?

Did you get the security key set the same on all three ?

I can get any two working in any combination so I know they all work and coax lines are connected. I'll double check security but I believe they are all set to off so I'm guessing the key doesn't matter? They are all on the same frequency as well. Only thing I can think of at this point is the splitter I'm using is the issue. Since I'm using direct fiber line there is no coax going outside of the house. The splitter is moca2 compliant but maybe I need a different type. I'm going to try one of those that directly connect the copper lines bypassing a circuit board tomorrow.

A moca2 filter at the head end can help as well. Make sure all unused ports on splitters are are capped with 75 ohm terminators and unused cables also.

If it is moca2 compatible, all ports should be passing signal unless the circuit board is defective. If the three modems together are showing green sync lights, then i doubt they or the cable plant are the issue.

Is the issue only getting out to the internet ? internal between devices works fine with 3 moca modems connected ? have you tried to at least ping across all of the internal paths ?
What device is providing DHCP ?

a sketch of the wire paths and connectinos, coax and ethernet, starting with the Alcatel fiber modem, would help diagnose the issue.

So I have a direct fiber line in my house that connects to a Alcatel G-010G-A ONT. From the Alcatel I have the first moca connected to my coax. Outside at the panel I have a 3 way certified splitter for moca 2.0. In my living room I have another moca box connected to my router and finally upstairs is the third moca box connected to my desktop. I just spoke with a guy with Motorola tech support and he claims it won't work. From everything I have tried he would seem to be correct. Looks like moca prefers a typical coax service feed vs fiber connection. I'm limited to using it at one location.

Thank you for the help

Attachments

• Moca Wiring.jpg
    Moca Wiring.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 422
One thing I just thought of is possibly my desktop computer is not setup correctly to grab the connection from the moca adapter? Ok I think I figured it out. I was under the impression that with moca you can connect multiple adapters. I am starting to think that is only the case if your router is moca compliant? Maybe im guessing only one connection is being sent and once it connects to one adapter there isnt another way for the 3rd to connect.

Last edited:
Alright I solved the mystery. I had to go from the modem to the router first and then hook up the first moca connected to the lan in the back of the router.

One thing I also had to change was the 3 way splitter and use a 3 way splitter/combiner. This may help someone in the future running into issues.

Attachments

• 61MNc7kJvqL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    61MNc7kJvqL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 339
Alright I solved the mystery. I had to go from the modem to the router first and then hook up the first moca connected to the lan in the back of the router.
Yes !
I was suspecting that but needed the map to confirm. Glad you figured it out.

One thing I also had to change was the 3 way splitter and use a 3 way splitter/combiner. This may help someone in the future running into issues.
If it was moca certified compliant, it would have been bidirectional.
The splitter would have been for a broadcast cable plant.

If it was moca certified compliant, it would have been bidirectional.
The splitter would have been for a broadcast cable plant.
I thought the moca certified splitter from Verizon would have worked also but it didnt for some reason. It actually does work for setting up 2 moca adapters assuming your main line comes from coax vs fiber. Because I was using it kinda like a 3 way splitter it was giving me issues. Luckily the other style does work for my needs and I just added a grounding block. Thanks for all the help. Also the Actiontec moca adapters that Verizon sells ECB5240 for $55 are a bargain and give you more ethernet connections. You don't need to be a Verizon internet customer to buy them either. Motorola and the ecb6200 actiontec are not worth it. They work exactly the same plug and play.

that splitter (1 in, 2 out) was designed to split off the signal into two branch cable systems such as one for phone or tv and one for internet. it was not designed for a moca (or any other most likely) network crossing over to the other plant.

The reason your original - any pair, any where, "worked" was it was point to point with the WAN. So as long as the signal was going up or down the tree it was fine.

I'm running into almost the same issue you had - any insight to where you got those splitters/combiners I think might solve my issue - you also said in an earlier reply you went to the router first, then to the first MOCA and I can't wrap my head around what you meant by that, relocating rooms maybe?

He originally had the isp modem ethernet port connected to the moca modem ethernet port instead of to his router wan port.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!