What's new

This entry already exists

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kramttocs

Occasional Visitor
Trying to rename some of my devices so I know what they are.
Have a couple of cameras that won't let me rename this and instead give me the error: This entry already exists.
I did replace these cameras awhile ago so I don't doubt I already had the same IP/Name setup in the Client List.
Is there a way to purge old ones or find out why I can't rename the current ones?

They are both set to 'Amcrest Technologies' and I can't even change the icon or the name to a random name without getting that error. Meaning it's not a matter of the message only showing if I rename them X but rather if I try anything XY, X1234, etc.

Nevermind. Just dawned on me to check the DHCP table and turns out there were entries in there for the same IP so just needed to clear those out...:rolleyes:

You can completely reset the custom list by doing

nvram unset custom_clientlist
nvram commit

Then re-enter your names

Nevermind. Just dawned on me to check the DHCP table and turns out there were entries in there for the same IP so just needed to clear those out...:rolleyes:

Odd, maybe different on your router, on mine the DHCP hostname and client list name are totally separate. I guess if you tried to set the client list name to be the same as the DHCP hostname (manually) that might conflict. But normally the DHCP name should show up in the client list automatically (unless you've previously customized it).

Sounds like you may want to clear out the custom list as I posted and then update just the ones that you don't want to match the DHCP hostname.

Thanks. Yeah, I am not positive what I did to get in that state.
A guess:
Originally I may have added the DHCP entry from the DCHP page so it remained even though the device (MAC) is no longer in use. Then when I tried to update the client list and the device has the same IP (set that way by me in the Camera settings itself this time) it was automatically turning the 'MAC and IP Address Binding' to true on Apply click. So perhaps that was failing because the MAC now didn't match the MAC set to the same IP in the DHCP table?

It would be nice to have a better error message as I was sure it was the Name itself it was throwing the error on since that was all I was changing (the system was changing the '...Binding' toggle) but that may just be how I incorrectly interpreted it and not the norm.