What's new

This is definitely offtopic but does SNBforums have/is affiliated with a Folding@Home group?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axaro1

Occasional Visitor
Sorry for the Off-Topic but I couldn't find any Off-Topic subforum

Folding@Home has been around forever. Lots of talks on how it helps with this or that project, by providing computing power. But has anyone ever shown any concrete results that were achieved thanks to the help from this project?

There's quite a lot of information on the Folding@home website, but they mostly recommend people go to the Wikipedia page. They don't really claim that what they do will "come up with a solution" to anything. In fact they make that clear with regards to Covid-19. I think it's more about adding to the pool of data available so that other people can draw upon it for their own research.

I see that as walking/running/shaving to cure 'x'. It does not compute. :)

There's quite a lot of information on the Folding@home website, but they mostly recommend people go to the Wikipedia page. They don't really claim that what they do will "come up with a solution" to anything. In fact they make that clear with regards to Covid-19. I think it's more about adding to the pool of data available so that other people can draw upon it for their own research.

But that does not say how having our PCs burn more power and generate more heat and noise actively contributes in helping any of those scientific projects.

The cynic in me would be leaning to a theory of selling information gathered to interested parties that want to deploy similar 'nets.

I'm not talking about private/privacy data here. Just the mechanics/insights of what is required to have and fully utilize a 'legal' botnet for anyone that can pay for such information, in cash. :)