What's new

This is the kind of crap I have to deal with

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is getting pretty bad out there - and this is driving users to block even more aggressively...

It's stuff like this that also hurts the reputation of the advertiser and the web sites...

So the next line of defense is for antivirus software to put every web image through a jpeg (re)compressor to force the image content to be somewhat scrambled?

What I note however is that this relies on computers being ALREADY compromised, so they can run the image-carried payload. This is more a payload delivery system than an infection vector, unless one of them can also exploit a flaw in an image decoder (Microsoft did fix a few of these over the years).

This is more a payload delivery system than an infection vector, unless one of them can also exploit a flaw in an image decoder (Microsoft did fix a few of these over the years).

Apple had an issue with one of their graphics renderers recently - had to do with TIFF if I recall - and the MSFT issue did affect other platforms...

There's no limit to inventiveness - there was a really neat hack a while back that used the gstreamer frameworks that embedded 6502 assembler inside an audio file that allowed root exploits - that one was pretty specific to the versions of the codecs and linux kernel version...

http://hackaday.com/2016/11/15/a-linux-exploit-that-uses-6502-code/

That's one of the reasons why things that execute code inside of data files are scary from a security perspective - I'm just waiting for someone to get clever with WebGL...

So the next line of defense is for antivirus software to put every web image through a jpeg (re)compressor to force the image content to be somewhat scrambled?

What I note however is that this relies on computers being ALREADY compromised, so they can run the image-carried payload. This is more a payload delivery system than an infection vector, unless one of them can also exploit a flaw in an image decoder (Microsoft did fix a few of these over the years).

I use a live cd, it works great. Once I reboot it's gone.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=tens

the more malicious ads there are the more people will block ads, not just that but resource usage is a concern too. On some sites with bad ads video stutters, using script block solves the issue as it wont allow you to watch with adblock enabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!