What's new

Thoughts from RT-AX88U users?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveMishSr

Very Senior Member
I'm curious to hear from RT-AX88U users. Why did you upgrade when clients for the new standard aren't yet available? Are there features that the AC88U and/or AC86U don't have (besides the new standard)? I'm super happy with my AC3100 so why should I consider upgrading? And if not now when?

Thanks in advance.

It supports 160MHz bandwith, so double speed with AC (no need for AX)!!!

It supports 160MHz bandwith, so double speed with AC (no need for AX)!!!
Gotcha. I couldn't understand the rush to upgrade. My network is flying along fat, dumb and happy at 80 MHz so I'll stay pat for now.

Thx.

Only with the one device that supports 160 MHz channels, the Intel AC 9260.
Running inside my PCIe adapter card but cannot use it with 86U.

Fritz updated their newer routers to 160MHz bandwith.
And Asus is selling much more, costs are no argument, they could do it only outside US where no recertification is necessary!

Only with the one device that supports 160 MHz channels, the Intel AC 9260.
So the only way to benefit in the real world right now would be to use two AX88U's to mesh or use together as a router/media bridge. That or get the client that Tim referenced. Or am I being stoopit again?

As for me and my little network we are doing fine meshing 2 RT-AC3100's with a RT-AC3100 as the router. The added bandwidth would be nice but is unnecessary.

I wonder if Asus/Broadcom improved the filters/amps used in the RT-AX88U. For the first time, I am seeing a reported floor noise of -100 dBm on the 2.4 GHz band...

So the only way to benefit in the real world right now would be to use two AX88U's to mesh or use together as a router/media bridge. That or get the client that Tim referenced. Or am I being stoopit again?

As for me and my little network we are doing fine meshing 2 RT-AC3100's with a RT-AC3100 as the router. The added bandwidth would be nice but is unnecessary.

i have two ax88u. router/media bridge... 160MHz is really unstable at the moment. ill keep making tests but my experience is really bad. RMerlin told me to deactivate Roaming assitant on wifi, it seems to help, no problems in 12 hours now.

i have two ax88u. router/media bridge... 160MHz is really unstable at the moment. ill keep making tests but my experience is really bad. RMerlin told me to deactivate Roaming assitant on wifi, it seems to help, no problems in 12 hours now.
You must need/want that media bridge really badly to spend $700 on it. Does it really deliver performance you can’t get from a four stream AC router?

I wonder if Asus/Broadcom improved the filters/amps used in the RT-AX88U. For the first time, I am seeing a reported floor noise of -100 dBm on the 2.4 GHz band...
What good is that when there are magnitudes more noise generated by traffic on all band channels?

You must need/want that media bridge really badly to spend $700 on it. Does it really deliver performance you can’t get from a four stream AC router?

+1

Also, for $700 I’d hire an electrician to run a wire. Can’t beat that!

What good is that when there are magnitudes more noise generated by traffic on all band channels?

The SoC can automatically deal with traffic sent on the same channel by backing off. Noise however can only be handled by filtering it, and can cause an increase in packet retransmissions, especially with clients that are at the limit of the router's range. Same reason why it's better to have two exactly overlapping APs on the same channel than two partially overlapping ones.

media bridge ax lost internet after 24 hours... im now testing AiMesh mode. also this unit is being replaced on monday because wifi is doing strange things (after a reboot 2,4ghz light sometimes is on and sometimes off).

I tried this with two AC88u routers and it never worked well. the wireless bridge always lost connection and had to be reset daily. Ironically I kept my wireless bridge in the same settings and replaced my main router with a Netgear Nighthawk X10 and the media bridge on the Asus router NEVER drops off or needs to be reset.

I'm not sure is Asus can be trusted to have 2 of their routers work in tandem like that.

How does the AX88U router compared to the Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 AD7200 ? That one is $500, I want to buy 2 Ax88U since I don't have any wifi routers in my new home at the moment.

I wanted to link them by cat6a cable across the home to reduce loss and be full throughput. The reason I am hooked on the Ax88U is the Mesh capability and device monitoring. If it detects the device is out of range or closer to another more powerful signal from the extender, it will switch smoothly. I had tried out 2 MoCA 2.0 wifi extenders from ActionTec and miserably failed using coaxial. It had great speed and signal strength, but as you move towards another part of the home, it never switch to the other wifi router having same SSID. basically, you needed to disconnect and reconnect your iphone, computer, tablet etc. in order to get the stronger signal.

Anyways, how does the ASUS compared to the gaming Nighthawk?

I've been looking at 8 port with 802.3ad routers for a while but decided to hold off for a little while, then the AX88U was announced and considering it's spec and the fact it was about as future proof as it is possible to get it seemed like the right choice to replace an older TP-Link router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!