What's new

Thoughts on proper wan/lan layout for home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ndboost

New Around Here
I just recently purchased my first home and will be running cat6 throughout the home, and installing an on-q 28" enclosure in the wall. The goal is to centralize my network and improve performance.

I have all of the hardware except for the managed switch. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on it.

My current setup works like so:
WAN -> DIR-825 (w/ dd-wrt) -> each device, incl NAS

My new proposed setup is like so:
onqplanout.png

The one thing not shown in that drawing is the patch panel which is located in the enclosure.

My questions are:
1. will this setup isolate LAN traffic and not require it to have to be handled by the router (obv excluding WLAN).
2. Is the managed switch really that necessary to justify the $150-$200 expendature
3. This setup will not isolate my NAS from "clogging" my LAN traffic as it still has to be handled by the switch, correct? What are my options?

Your LAN traffic is isolated from your router by only connecting one wire to the router from the switch. LAN traffic will be processed by the switch or switches. The managed switch is not necessary in your drawing. The managed switch is only going to add port management and vlans. If you start adding vlans then you will start loading your router down routing vlans. The NAS traffic will be processed by the same switches as regular traffic. If you want to isolate your NAS traffic then you will want to add vlans.