What's new

Thoughts on the Deco PX50 Mesh+Powerline?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snaxolotl

New Around Here
I know it just came out, but I can't find much about it online. Only a few uninformative articles, haven't seen a single user review.
Feels like it's a good fit for my use case. I can't ethernet backhaul or use moca adapters, so I'm deciding between this and getting a set of triband routers. How do you guys think the powerline backhaul will compare to using 5ghz-2 for backhaul?

How do you guys think the powerline backhaul will compare to using 5ghz-2 for backhaul?

The very short answer is that both of those alternatives are inferior to ethernet backhaul. If that's out of the question though, powerline can work well depending on the details of your house wiring and which equipment you buy. I had a poor experience with G.hn gear and a better experience with AV2000 gear, which I wrote about here ... but I can't say strongly enough that this is an area where YMMV.

On the whole I wouldn't take a chance on powerline gear that has no market track record.

Wireless backhaul can suck too, again depending on the details of your house layout and which equipment you buy, plus factors like how many wifi-using neighbors you have ... but it's a significantly better-trodden path. At least there's a lot more expertise about it here on the SNB forums.

The very short answer is that both of those alternatives are inferior to ethernet backhaul. If that's out of the question though, powerline can work well depending on the details of your house wiring and which equipment you buy. I had a poor experience with G.hn gear and a better experience with AV2000 gear, which I wrote about here ... but I can't say strongly enough that this is an area where YMMV.

On the whole I wouldn't take a chance on powerline gear that has no market track record.

Wireless backhaul can suck too, again depending on the details of your house layout and which equipment you buy, plus factors like how many wifi-using neighbors you have ... but it's a significantly better-trodden path. At least there's a lot more expertise about it here on the SNB forums.
Thanks for the response! I used powerline adapters before, and they were very stable (while only getting like 20% of max speed). Hoping I can get the stability and speed with this then.
Think I'm gonna take a chance on these, I'll report back after

Thanks for the response! I used powerline adapters before, and they were very stable (while only getting like 20% of max speed). Hoping I can get the stability and speed with this then.
Think I'm gonna take a chance on these, I'll report back after
Any News?