What's new

Thoughts on the linksys ea9500 v2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itchyscratchy

Occasional Visitor
I’m leery of belkin products, firstly, but I have been looking for a router that has strong WiFi signals for a new android tv box. My current router is an 86u, and it’s in a less than ideal location for delivering signal through a chicane hallway and a bedroom door (best place I could put it). About 30 feet away is my tv box; out of LoS and it’s attenuated signal is enough to buffer and downgrade resolution on 4K streaming video (-40dB on 2.4GHz band and -60dB or so on the 5GHz). Should I try a 40MHz channel bandwith on the 2.4 band or will that mess up the connection on the mobile phones on the same band?

I have a 1Gbps tier Comcast connection, and have tried the rog gt router but 2nd 5GHz band disappears and is too high maintenance. I was wondering if the ea9500 v2 fairs better than the rog gt and the old ea9500’s routing performance, and mayhaps better than the ea9300’s WiFi performance/issues.

The ea9500 v2’s last firmware update was March of this year, so it seems if it shares the same problems of the rog gt... then yikes. Does it have a KRACK patch for repeater/bridge modes, even?

It’s been hard to find my answers as the ea9500 v2 has different guts than the earlier versions. Hell, it’s been tough finding them on shelves or ordering them due to the supply of the dual core versions.

Should I let this one slide by and maybe try adding an extender/repeater to the 86u? Will the extender/repeater have sufficient signal strength to backhaul? Or is this belkin a gem that can’t shine through the plethora of mediocre max stream products and it’s other ea9500 variants? RE900 overkill?

I wouldn't expect significant improvements with an EA9500 V2 over the RT-AC86U. They use the same 5GHz radios and are subject to the same transmission power limits.

Perhaps the best solution is to avoid using the Android TV Box's built-in Wi-Fi and use a media bridge device instead. I'm guessing that the Android TV box only has 1x1:1 or 2x2:2 Wi-Fi. You could get a 3x3:3 or, better yet, a 4x4:4 bridge which should improve throughput and most bridge devices would probably have better reception than the Android TV Box. Range extender (aka repeater) type devices might also do the trick since they are essentially wireless bridges which also re-broadcast the signal.

For $130 on Amazon, the RE9000 seems like a decent option with its four-stream backhaul. The RE7000 also has a four-stream backhaul and is $45 cheaper but it lacks external antennas which makes it difficult to trust that it will get the best possible signal. If the TP-Link RE650 was cheaper than its current $125 it might be worth considering.

The Linksys EA8400/EA8500 and most ASUS routers support wireless bridge mode but they are probably more expensive than range extenders.

Don't bother with the 2.4GHz band since you'll be stuck with 802.11n.

All EA9500 V2s probably ship with software that is not vulnerable to KRACK.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect significant improvements with an EA9500 V2 over the RT-AC86U. They use the same 5GHz radios and are subject to the same transmission power limits.

You’re absolutely right.

how about a powerline adapter setup? I use one for our upstairs roku with the router downstairs.

I have used these brilliant devices before! Unfortunately, and rightfully unbeknownst to you, I have everything plugged into MOVs and UPS systems. Just no vacancy to a direct receptacle.

Or Asus aimesh since you already have an rt-ac86u. Pick up a used rt-ac68

I like where this tech is going! Did ASUS implement band steering on the 68u or is that even possible? Cool stuff.

For $130 on Amazon, the RE9000 seems like a decent option with its four-stream backhaul. The RE7000 also has a four-stream backhaul and is $45 cheaper but it lacks external antennas which makes it difficult to trust that it will get the best possible signal.

I have another question that may complicate my WiFi situation. I must ask, will a media bridge/ap/repeater work with an upcoming pfsense build and maybe the ea9500 used as it’s wifi ap?

OP,
I have the EA9500V2 on my 300 Mbps FTTH line and its the best router I've ever owned for wifi coverage - I previously had the Netgear X10 which also is very good but the EA9500V2 is better IMHO. Sure, the EA9500V2 has the same internals as the ROG GT-AC5300 and AC86U but as most people will tell you, you need stable firmware to go along with the hardware. Unlike the notoriously buggy fw on the ROG GT-AC5300, the fw on the Linksys is rock solid hence why Linksys don't need to release firmware updates every 2 mins like on the ROG. On the downside the linksys fw isn't as advanced as Asus' offering so you won't get the same advanced features, eg VPN client.

If you can get hold of the EA9500V2 then I would highly recommend it....you won't be disappointed :)

I nabbed one from micro center. All four on the shelf were v2’s.
Nice! Btw to get the optimum wifi performance on the EA9500, switch off 'band steering'' so that you can manually choose which of the two 5ghz bands you want your devices to connect to. Manually select an appropriate channel on all 3 bands and select 'auto' as channel width.

Let us know how you find it :)

Nice! Btw to get the optimum wifi performance on the EA9500, switch off 'band steering'' so that you can manually choose which of the two 5ghz bands you want your devices to connect to. Manually select an appropriate channel on all 3 bands and select 'auto' as channel width.

Let us know how you find it :)

Will do. Thanks for the heads up. Will post back about how it goes :)

Been enjoying using the eero mesh. I have two TV’s, with a mesh node at each. Using Roku’s, which work very well. Also using MoCA 2.0 adapters at each TV for wired-equivalent backhaul, that give me really fast wireless throughout my house. Does what I need my router and wireless to do. Worked well with wireless backhaul, but adding the wired backhaul adds a little oomph. And I like leveraging the coax in the walls that came with the house.

A really good setup for internet streaming TV...the eero doesn’t have some functionality, but they keep adding new stuff as time goes on. Like “smart queuing”, band steering, and DNS caching.

Anyways, very happy with it. And not yearning to battle Linksys hardware. The eero folks continue to transparently add new features via firmware, and haven’t broken anything yet.

MoCA 2.0 adapters at each TV for wired-equivalent backhaul

This is a great idea. As far as mesh systems go, I have a pfsense machine I would like to tinker with. Kudos for the MoCA suggestion!

Been enjoying using the eero mesh. I have two TV’s, with a mesh node at each. Using Roku’s, which work very well. Also using MoCA 2.0 adapters at each TV for wired-equivalent backhaul, that give me really fast wireless throughout my house. Does what I need my router and wireless to do. Worked well with wireless backhaul, but adding the wired backhaul adds a little oomph. And I like leveraging the coax in the walls that came with the house.

A really good setup for internet streaming TV...the eero doesn’t have some functionality, but they keep adding new stuff as time goes on. Like “smart queuing”, band steering, and DNS caching.

Anyways, very happy with it. And not yearning to battle Linksys hardware. The eero folks continue to transparently add new features via firmware, and haven’t broken anything yet.

I have a couple questions.
  • Do I need a single Point of Entry MoCA filter at the end of the run to the house/main splitter, or PoE filters at the end of every run in the house?
  • Will the MoCA 2.0 adapters have any impact on the internet speed to the home?
Since my home was struck by lightning recently, my old splitter is probably toast. So, I need another one of those and to make a new coax run around the house inside PVC, methinks.

I have a couple questions.
  • Do I need a single Point of Entry MoCA filter at the end of the run to the house/main splitter, or PoE filters at the end of every run in the house?
  • Will the MoCA 2.0 adapters have any impact on the internet speed to the home?
Since my home was struck by lightning recently, my old splitter is probably toast. So, I need another one of those and to make a new coax run around the house inside PVC, methinks.

The amplified splitter that I have at the cable PoE has a filter built-in, and that’s all I’ve needed. Keep in mind that all splitters need to be MoCA 2.0 compatible, which means a high cutoff at about 1675MHz. And yes, the MoCA adapters deliver the speed that my ISP delivers to me. I don’t see any noticeable decrease of internet speed at the adapters.

If you go this way, you’ll like the results. Working really well here.

Thanks RogerSC. I am planning to do one run for the living room. That should let me place the extender/bridge in the kitchen :)

@itchyscratchy
Did the EA9500V2 turn out to be any good?

Just got it set up! seems to be solid so far, but can't find static ipv6 DNS settings. Any ideas where I can find/set those up? I'll be putting up the wireless media bridge tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just got it set up! seems to be solid so far, but can't find static ipv6 DNS settings. Any ideas where I can find/set those up? I'll be putting up the wireless media bridge tomorrow.

There's doesn't seem to be any option to enter a static IPv6 address anywhere, though you can do this for IPv4. Doesn't affect me but it might be worth asking Linksys on the Linksys forums for clarification.

There's doesn't seem to be any option to enter a static IPv6 address anywhere, though you can do this for IPv4. Doesn't affect me but it might be worth asking Linksys on the Linksys forums for clarification.

I’ll ask. Thank you for your suggestion about unticking bandsteering and alleviating my concerns with this router. Having a nice, not-buggy triband router WITH extender/media bridge has improved the living room WiFi signal and speeds.

The amplified splitter that I have at the cable PoE has a filter built-in, and that’s all I’ve needed. Keep in mind that all splitters need to be MoCA 2.0 compatible, which means a high cutoff at about 1675MHz. And yes, the MoCA adapters deliver the speed that my ISP delivers to me. I don’t see any noticeable decrease of internet speed at the adapters.

If you go this way, you’ll like the results. Working really well here.

This will be my next pursuit. Wonderful suggestion.

Thanks, everyone in this thread posted reasonable solutions and I will recommend this forum to people with more significant or elaborate WiFi situations at my local haunts for help!

I also wanted to thank Internet Man for emploring the words of reason to me and thoughts on multiple extenders. You were a great help. Thanks again, all.

Last edited:
As one last addition for those that hemming and hawing over all-in-ones with this level of scrutiny (or more): you should definitely consider discrete components -- ie. dedicated gear for each individual role: route, switch, wifi, etc. If you're thinking about dropping $300-400 anyways, you might as well do it in a way that almost always nets you a better end result. Many more product and feature choices. Higher performance overall (almost always). Less impact network-wide during maintenance. Easier upgrades of individual services. Etc. This is assuming, of course, you're willing to take the time to learn and set things up properly. And that last part is definitely the lynch pin. If that's not the case, then the value of the single plug-and-play box still stands. ;)

Last edited:
As one last addition for those that hemming and hawing over all-in-ones with this level of scrutiny (or more): you should definitely consider discrete components -- ie. dedicated gear for each individual role: route, switch, wifi, etc. If you're thinking about dropping $300-400 anyways, you might as well do it in a way that almost always nets you a better end result. Many more product and feature choices. Higher performance overall (almost always). Less impact network-wide during maintenance. Easier upgrades of individual services. Etc. This is assuming, of course, you're willing to take the time to learn and set things up properly. And that last part is definitely the lynch pin. If that's not the case, then the value of the single plug-and-play box still stands. ;)

I agree. Yet, while your points are valid in general, there are a few lynch pins other than willingness, patience, and taking it in. I’ll explain below.

Firstly, not everyone is physically capable. I fall into this category. I’m a right leg above knee amputee in need of a new revision of the residual limb (so prosthetic is as good as a bucket lol), on top of a multitude of other health conditions I’ll refrain from writing about. My ability to get up a ladder to mount bracketing and access points is nil.

Secondly, it’s a bit more expensive than that, esp in an old house (like mine: sinking cement patios and foundation, lawn of weeds, no electrical grounding (had some reversed hot/neutrals and lots of gfci’s and an afci to put in) old electrical wiring, new furnace! Priorities lol). My example: I’m 36 and retired on SSI. My mom spent ~$430 usd on an Unifi usg, cloud key, their 60W switch, ap pro, poe injector, and their Ethernet surge suppressor. That’s not including proper tools, parts, making quality/consistent type copper Ethernet cable runs throughout the home and it’s network, and carpentry expenses. Between this and the former, it’s impractical yet, especially if we hire someone to do install the ap(s) and wire the house for a better lan/wlan situation lol.

Now this isn’t meant to be vindictive and it’s obvious I can’t speak for all, but I just felt inclined to say that what you wrote did cross my mind many times... and it should be known by all who want the best in lan/wlan/vlan/NAS performance with single appliance maintenance. I’m a big fan of these forums now and read a lot of threads! :D

I will be tinkering with a pfsense pc for funsies as well. I’m also planning to go to school for general networking and computer science, even though im in medical treatment and dealing with home healthcare (it’s a pain in the neck). I’m a bit anxious and not in a good spot atm, but hoping things improve :) Thanks for your thoughts and hopefully We can do a discrete setup soonish!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!