What's new

Three newbie questions on assigning static IP addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lawrence

New Around Here
I'm glad to have found this site and hope my questions aren't answered elsewhere on this site - I searched but didn't find it. If there's an article, or alternate website that does answer this, feel free to send me there.

Currently, with quarantine and working remotely, stable wi-fi connectivity is extremely important. At the moment, the wi-fi requirements in the house don't seem that elaborate to me . . . one wired desktop, one Lenovo laptop, one Dell laptop, two iPads, three cellphones, one Tivo, one Firestick, one printer and a bunch of Sonos speakers. I've been running them through an old Surfboard cable modem/wi-fi router for years, which is starting to act up. I will continue to use the Surfboard just as a cable modem, but I have a new Asus router on the way, and am looking for advice on configuring it. The big connectivity problem has been that the Dell laptop and the two iPads VERY frequently drop their wi-fi connection. I've tried setting them to static IP addresses through the Surfboard, but those settings don't seem to 'stick'.

My three main questions are:

1. To set up static IP addressees, do I need to limit the DHCP assignable pool to something lower than the default 0 to 255 IP range, and then assign device specific static IP addresses outside the DHCP pool range?

2. Is there any downside to assigning everything (except the Sonos speakers, which are peculiar) a permanent static IP address? And if there is a downside, what is it?

3. In specifying a static IP address, how do you make it permanent, in other words with no expiration of the lease time? Or is lease time expiration only applicable to DHCP assigned IP addresses?

And, I suppose, what other stupid newbie questions am I not yet smart enough to think to ask?

I very much appreciate any knowledge and teaching I can get . . . thanks in advance.

Hello @Lawrence, welcome to snbforums.com I think the following thread will answer all your questions. :)

My three main questions are:

1. To set up static IP addressees, do I need to limit the DHCP assignable pool to something lower than the default 0 to 255 IP range, and then assign device specific static IP addresses outside the DHCP pool range?

2. Is there any downside to assigning everything (except the Sonos speakers, which are peculiar) a permanent static IP address? And if there is a downside, what is it?

3. In specifying a static IP address, how do you make it permanent, in other words with no expiration of the lease time? Or is lease time expiration only applicable to DHCP assigned IP addresses?

1. Yes, static IPs are assigned by you on each client, outside of the network DHCP server IP pool.

2. The downside is that it is manual, error-prone, and unnecessary work. I would only bother when necessary to solve a client issue, such as for a finicky printer/printer driver.

3. Don't know. If they expire, they renew, so don't care.

4. Manually-assigned IPs (IP reservations) are scheduled in the router and should be from within the router DHCP server IP pool.

OE

Thanks, all for the knowledge. I'm setting up the new ASUS router this weekend, so I may be back with more questions later!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!