What's new

Time Disparity Error!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

famaus

New Around Here
Hi,

I received my Asus RT-AC66U today and the the first thing I did was flashing it with latest (# 3.0.0.3.178.16) Asus-Merlin build mostly because, WOL & OpenVPN Server features are not available in Asus standard build. I really appreciate the author for providing this build.

I was playing with the settings and I noticed that initially when the router boots the date/time starts with Dec 31 19:00:08 and later changes to correct time. Every time I restart my router, I get a error reported in my Syslog server with message "time disparity of xxxxxx minutes detected". You can see this date/time disparity under System Log-->General Log.

I wanted to know if there is any quick way to fix this or I must wait until the next build?

Also, is there a permanent way to make a change to default router hostname www.asusnetwork.net to my own? I tried changing it in /etc/hosts file but after reboot the host name goes back to www.asusnetwork.net

Appreciate your response and thanks again for this build!

Hi,

I received my Asus RT-AC66U today and the the first thing I did was flashing it with latest (# 3.0.0.3.178.16) Asus-Merlin build mostly because, WOL & OpenVPN Server features are not available in Asus standard build. I really appreciate the author for providing this build.

I was playing with the settings and I noticed that initially when the router boots the date/time starts with Dec 31 19:00:08 and later changes to correct time. Every time I restart my router, I get a error reported in my Syslog server with message "time disparity of xxxxxx minutes detected". You can see this date/time disparity under System Log-->General Log.

This is perfectly normal, as this router has no battery-backed clock. Every time it boots, it has to connect to the Internet to retrieve the correct date and time through NTP.
Also, is there a permanent way to make a change to default router hostname www.asusnetwork.net to my own? I tried changing it in /etc/hosts file but after reboot the host name goes back to www.asusnetwork.net

Best you can do is to set it under AiDisk - there's a page there to set the device name as well as the workgroup. That should at least let it resolve through Netbios.

The www.asusnetwork.net name is hardcoded, and is used internally (for example when traffic gets redirected to the router's QIS wizard).

Thanks for your quick reply and it makes clear sense what you said about the battery. However, I wouldn't expect the router to report this as an error item as this is known and unavoidable :confused:

Thanks for the tip on AiDisk. I was able to change the device name. :eek:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!