What's new

Time to replace SB8200 - Comcast??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phillyaj

Occasional Visitor
Greetings All,

The past few months I've been seeing that i haven't been getting the DL speeds at my router (RT-AX86U - ASUSWRT-Merlin v388.1 running spdMerlin). I have the 1200mbs service and used to get 800-900+ down pretty consistently, and now I'm seeing 400-600 mbps. After doing some searching, I'm seeing that Comcast/Xfinity has marked my modem (Arris SB8200) as "not supported due to filters".. (What the hell does that mean??). From what I'm reading, there may have been a fw update pushed down to the modem... So here's my question... Is it worth messing around with WAN Link aggregation and seeing if that helps, or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade the modem? Any advice on a good modem to get? Motorola? etc???

Thanks, in Advanced.

Happy Holidays!!

Is this not what you are seeing? This is what I see for my Xfinity service for my SB8200 self-owned modem. Seems it doesn't quite provide your max speed but can provide up to 957 Mbps.

Cable Modem​

ARRIS SB8200 | Model number: SB8200
Model Specifications
deviceImg

Device Type Cable Modem
Wired Download Speed Up to 957 Mbps
Voice/Telephone enabled No
Built-in WiFi No
DOCSIS Channels 32 down x 8 up
DOCSIS Version DOCSIS 3.1
IPv6 Yes

Is this not what you are seeing? This is what I see for my Xfinity service for my SB8200 self-owned modem. Seems it doesn't quite provide your max speed but can provide up to 957 Mbps.

Cable Modem​

ARRIS SB8200 | Model number: SB8200
Model Specifications
deviceImg

Device Type Cable Modem
Wired Download Speed Up to 957 Mbps
Voice/Telephone enabled No
Built-in WiFi No
DOCSIS Channels 32 down x 8 up
DOCSIS Version DOCSIS 3.1
IPv6 Yes
Understood. That's what I was saying ...I WAS getting 800-900+, then all of a sudden getting 500-600. Also seeing on Reddit and other places that people are complaining about drop-offs in speed with the SB8200 with xfinity.

Per the Xfinity device site....
1671634670533.png

I am also using an SB8200 on Comcast. There are two separate issues.

Despite an Arris specification which is higher, Comcast's download speed rating for the SB8200 is 800. Recently Comcast increased the theoretical maximum download speed for my plan to 1000. I would need to replace the SB8200 with a cable modem rated by Comcast as 1000 or higher to be "compatible" and for the vague e-mails to cease. The three "compatible" modems, Comcast rated for 1200, are listed here https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-cable-modem/. I get the impression that WAN aggregation has been hit or miss for end users and the cable companies do not want to support it. So theoretically I would also need to replace my wireless router with a model featuring at least a 2.5 Gbps WAN ethernet port. I am in no rush to do this.

I do not have a guess as to why actual download speeds would have dropped. I do not run speed tests frequently. When I have, the download speeds vary and I can only count on 560 down and 20 up, so I configure QoS with these values.

Last edited:
Understood. That's what I was saying ...I WAS getting 800-900+, then all of a sudden getting 500-600. Also seeing on Reddit and other places that people are complaining about drop-offs in speed with the SB8200 with xfinity.

Worst case - contact Comcast Customer care and see what's happening - the SB8200, as noted, is still fairly current in their platform (as it is with CoxHSI, one of my providers).

They can send a bullet down the line to reset and reprovision the modem, and you should be good to go...

It's likely a provisioing thing, so the bullet/reset might fix things up.

I would also check on DSLReports - they seem to be fairly current on ISP issues...

Oh - BTW - noticed this over on CoxHSI subforms...

I am also using an SB8200 on Comcast. There are two separate issues.

Despite an Arris specification which is higher, Comcast's download speed rating for the SB8200 is 800. Recently Comcast increased the theoretical maximum download speed for my plan to 1000. I would need to replace the SB8200 with a cable modem rated by Comcast as 1000 or higher to be "compatible" and for the vague e-mails to cease. The three "compatible" modems, Comcast rated for 1200, are listed here https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-cable-modem/. I get the impression that WAN aggregation has been hit or miss for end users and the cable companies do not want to support it. So theoretically I would also need to replace my wireless router with a model featuring at least a 2.5 Gbps WAN ethernet port. I am in no rush to do this.

I do not have a guess as to why actual download speeds would have dropped. I do not run speed tests frequently. When I have, the download speeds vary and I can only count on 560 down and 20 up, so I configure QoS with these values.

So I see that you also have the RT-AX88U as your router. From what I read, WAN aggregation is an option on the router AND the SB8200. With Xfinity only giving me 500-600 (occasionally 800) down, and them telling me that I need to replace my modem to get 1G or over, I was thinking of setting up the WAN aggregation on the RT-AX88U and the SB8200.

1) Logon to the SB8200 and enable WAN Aggregation.
2) Enable WAN aggregation on the RT-AX88U.
3) Connect WAN port and LAN port 4 to SB8200 with CAT 8 cables.
*** The documentation says LAN 4...but with the 1G Wan and the 2.5G port...not sure this still hold true.???
4) Hope for the best.

Other things to find out....
1) Does the "Dual WAN' Setting disappear when I do this? Do I need to make sure the "Primary WAN" port is set correctly?? Does that come in to play at all? I kinda don't think so....

2) Will it even work??? From what I have read...it seems to be Hit-or-miss to get WAN Aggregation working. Read that some folks had it working....then 12/24 hours....it comes to a crawl. Given my 'confidence' in xfinity and...I say it's 60-40 against...

***Now the most difficult part...Finding time when I tell everyone in the house that the Internet will be off-line for a period of time..

I have an SB8200 on a different cable provider..it is certainly capable of 920Mbit/s but as it only has a 1G ports I think k that's why they may say you need a different modem for the 1.2+ speeds they provide?

It does support link aggration but ive read reports of it not working well ..probably on older revs and firmware..

I really call a lie on them telling you you need a different modem to get above 600.. unless they really do something very specific on their cable system that hurts it.

If you don't mind the intrusion, I have a modem question. I've been using the Arris SB-6141 (16x4) with the 300 mbps speed tier and getting about 15% higher speeds than Xfinity states in their programs. Having researched the best modems for people who's speeds are beneath 1GB, most say the Motorola MB-7621 (24x8) is by far the best. So were I to get one, would speeds increase significantly?

If you don't mind the intrusion, I have a modem question. I've been using the Arris SB-6141 (16x4) with the 300 mbps speed tier and getting about 15% higher speeds than Xfinity states in their programs. Having researched the best modems for people who's speeds are beneath 1GB, most say the Motorola MB-7621 (24x8) is by far the best. So were I to get one, would speeds increase significantly?

I made the switch from a SB6183? (16x4 3.0) to an SB8200 (32x8)... I did not notice much of difference as I dont have a very busy node. What I did notice is about 5 to 6 months later my cable co switch to Docsis 3.1 ..aka the light on the SB8200 went from green to blue. I noticed things seems snappier and my speed was more consistent..less variable. This was all on 300 mbps.... ive upgraded to 1G since. If your'e going to upgrade go for a 3.1 and 32 channel modem..

I made the switch from a SB6183? (16x4 3.0) to an SB8200 (32x8)... I did not notice much of difference as I dont have a very busy node. What I did notice is about 5 to 6 months later my cable co switch to Docsis 3.1 ..aka the light on the SB8200 went from green to blue. I noticed things seems snappier and my speed was more consistent..less variable. This was all on 300 mbps.... ive upgraded to 1G since. If your'e going to upgrade go for a 3.1 and 32 channel modem..
Thanks...Since I don't have a large number of devices nor need for gigabit speed, not sure it makes sense for a 3.1 modem but I appreciate the response nonetheless

Overprovisioned line to guarantee your 300Mbps plan.

You'll get the same about 15% over 300Mbps as before.
Much appreciated. I'll stick with the SB-6141 which has been extremely reliable

I'll stick with the SB-6141 which has been extremely reliable

SB6141 is DOCSIS 3.0 - Comcast, like many other cable providers is moving to 3.1, and soon, DOCSIS 4.0

My provider pushed me over to the SB8200 which is DOCSIS 3.1, otherwise they would have dropped my 300/30 down to 150/10 if I wanted to keep with my older 6141...

WAN aggregation is an option on the router AND the SB8200. With Xfinity only giving me 500-600 (occasionally 800) down, and them telling me that I need to replace my modem to get 1G or over, I was thinking of setting up the WAN aggregation on the RT-AX88U and the SB8200.

Only if the provider enables the second ethernet port on the modem - that is under their control...

Ok...so here's my update.

- Successfully Set up Wan Link Aggregation on my SB8200 and ASUS RT-AX86U.--- Fairly easy to do...and No change in speed at router
- Bit-the-bullet and purchased an Arris S33, activated it , and Surprise-Surprise ----No Change.
**Yes, I restarted it a few times, locally and via Comcast side.
:mad:
----Conclusion - IT'S COMCAST !!!! :mad:

Next step:
Contact Comcast...and hopefully get a good tech to come out and check my line.

Only if the provider enables the second ethernet port on the modem - that is under their control...
Actually, you can logon to your SB8200 and turn on the WAN Link Aggregation. Fairly straight-forward. And I don't think it has anything to do with the ISP. Basically, it's Hardware Aggregation on the Modem. Keep in mind that your Router has to support it, which in my case the RT-AX86U does. When I did enable it, the router showed TWO distinct connections to the Modem, which theoretically could give me 1G per connection...if I had a Multi-Gig service. (The Modem still has only 1 external IP from the ISP).

IT's FIXED!!!! :cool: Getting 1000 to 1200 Mbps now at router.

After being on the phone with Xfinity/Comcast this morning, I was getting very frustrated. In troubleshooting with Xfinity, they rebooted my Arris S33 a few times and said it all looked good from their side. (I had to control my temper when the 'genius' told me that I needed to call Arris and update my modem firmware :mad:. After explaining to him that customers don't do that...that YOU, as the IPS do that.). He wasn't getting it, so I asked to schedule a tech to come out and check my lines.

Ok...Took a deep breath and went back to square one...
- Try the 1G WAN port on the AX86U and the 1G port on the Arris S33 - Same thing. 500-600 Mbps down.
- Try the 2.5G WAN port on the AX86U and the 2.6G port on the S33 - DITTO
- Try the 1G WAN port on the S33 to my Laptop 1G ethernet port -- Interesting....Seeing 800 Mbps. Now 900+ Mbps.. Curious. Could I have a Bad AX86u? (Doubtful).
- Start digging into the AX86U.. BAM!!! Freaking IPV6 is enabled. I turned it off, reconnected the AX86U to the S33 (First 1G WAN, then 2.5G WAN0 and Bobs-your-uncle!!.

A few years ago, I remember having issues with IPV6 and Xfinity.....and disabling it at the router fixed the problem. The Firmware update I did about a month ago, must have re-enabled IPV6 on the AX86U.

I went through and ensured IPV6 was off, Also turned off QOS and for good measure re-installed spdMerlin.

Now...the $100,000 question. Do I keep the S33 (single 2.5G Wan connection to AX-86U), or return it and put back my SB8200 and use WAN aggregation on 2 x 1G WAN ports?
The S33 was only $160 on Amazon....so It's not like it's breaking the bank...

Do I keep the S33 (single 2.5G Wan connection to AX-86U), or return it and put back my SB8200 and use WAN aggregation on 2 x 1G WAN ports?

I would suggest keeping the S33 - remember that WAN aggro doubles capacity, but each link will be limited to 1G...

I would keep the s33..its 2.5 to the 2.5 on the ax86u.. you should break over 940Mbit/sec if they over provisin their 1Gig service.
I dont recall the LAG working that well for many folks with the 8200.