What's new

Time to upgrade network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mondrin

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently running a simple network with one desktop, two laptops and a Wii with an older Linksys G wireless router. The desktop will be replaced in the near future with a NAS since that's about all the desktop does these days and it's near death. The two laptops are soon to be upgraded to N devices leaving only the Wii (which is rarely on) as a G using device. I need print sharing in either the NAS or the new router. The ASUS RT N13U caught my eye as a quite inexpensive N router with excellent performance and print sharing. Only drawback is no gigabit ethernet. I was hoping to get feedback on whether I need to even care about gigabit ethernet. My current and future uses of wired work:
  • Standard and HD video streaming
  • Photo and video editing
The other uses are nominal. If I truely need gigabit then what are my best options for performance, price and print server?

Thanks!

Thanks occamsrazor, I'm not sure how I missed that thread in my initial searches. Sounds like a bit of a challenging router but worth it if you are up to a little work.

Any other router recommendations?

Any other router recommendations?

Sorry, not from me, I'm still uncertain what to buy too.... :)

If you need gigabit for wired devices on your local network, you can just buy a Gigabit switch and plug any router (100M or 1000M) into that... which may open up more choices to you.

a readynas duo will give you network storage and a print server :D

router suggestion would be a wndr3700 :p

i own both and love em

Last edited: