What's new

Time Warner perhaps Router/Modem issue? limited download

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ariel f

New Around Here
Let me preface this by saying I am a complete newbie when it comes to networking. I am however technical enough to learn to a point ;). (embedded programmer in the semi industry) Thus any help no matter how trivial will be of help. Thank you in advance!

I am currently trying to figure out what is limiting my download. I have Time Warner and am paying for the 300Mbps download package. Hardware is:
  • Netgear R7800
  • ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 (connected to router via CAT5e)

I have tested a hard-wired (CAT5e) laptop plugged in directly to my router and found max download to be ~120-130Mbps using the following sites selecting nearby servers:

I ran the same tests using the 5GHz network on the same websites/servers and found the max download to be once again ~120-130Mbps.

Not really sure how to go any deeper or what the proper way to test each piece of hardware would be(ie. modem then router then modem/router combo)

What are your speeds when connected directly to the modem?

What are your speeds when connected directly to the modem?
Just ran the same labtop with Cat5e cable connected directly to the modem bypassing the router and used the same websites/servers again to verify speed and I am getting the exact same speed as before with all the other tests. ~120Mbps down, ~11Mbps up

Ran the test about an hour ago at 8am EST so traffic should be low

Yes, the modem seems to be the issue (even though the spec's say up to 343Mbps download speeds).

http://www.surfboard.com/products/sb6141/

Or, of course, you could be paying for 300Mbps DL speeds while your ISP isn't really providing that to you. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, the modem seems to be the issue (even though the spec's say up to 343Mbps download speeds).

http://www.surfboard.com/products/sb6141/
Thank you, yes I bought it because of that exact spec. Not really sure why this is the case but I will try getting a new modem and swapping out and will then repeat the tests. Once again thanks for the help!

I am looking at the list of modems, is there one that is potentially a little future proof, i don't mind spending up a bit. If not I will just get something on that list and call it a day

Thank you, yes I bought it because of that exact spec. Not really sure why this is the case but I will try getting a new modem and swapping out and will then repeat the tests. Once again thanks for the help!

See my reply just above. Call your ISP and confirm that they have provisioned you with the speeds you're actually paying for.

If they have, then it's time for a new modem.

Just a quick question on modems in general.

It seems if you buy your own modem you are stuck with whatever firmware was flashed on the modem in the factory.

I believe this is the case for Time Warner and Comcast as they do not offer updating firmware for your own personal modems; just ones you lease from them.

Is there a way around this potential huge frustration with TWC/Comcast?

See my reply just above. Call your ISP and confirm that they have provisioned you with the speeds you're actually paying for.

If they have, then it's time for a new modem.

I have called them numerous times for "tech support" on this issue; they never are able to do anything and thats when they even reply. I'll take the chance; i just bought the modem and amazon has a great return policy.

I have called them numerous times for "tech support" on this issue; they never are able to do anything and thats when they even reply. I'll take the chance; i just bought the modem and amazon has a great return policy.

Call one last time and specify that you are connecting your computer with a CAT5e or higher cable directly to the modem and your speed is way less than half of what you're paying for.

If the modem was giving even in the 250Mbps range, I wouldn't be suspecting the ISP, but as it is now; they're the prime suspect.

How long have you been on the 300Mbps DL plan? Threaten you want a refund for the time you haven't received that level of service from them. ;)

Just to rule out problems on your end have your tested the speed on your LAN by connecting two PCs directly to your router and then using a utility such as WAN speed test to rule out any problem with adapter settings, etc.?

Let me preface this by saying I am a complete newbie when it comes to networking. I am however technical enough to learn to a point ;). (embedded programmer in the semi industry) Thus any help no matter how trivial will be of help. Thank you in advance!

I am currently trying to figure out what is limiting my download. I have Time Warner and am paying for the 300Mbps download package. Hardware is:
  • Netgear R7800
  • ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 (connected to router via CAT5e)

I have tested a hard-wired (CAT5e) laptop plugged in directly to my router and found max download to be ~120-130Mbps using the following sites selecting nearby servers:

I ran the same tests using the 5GHz network on the same websites/servers and found the max download to be once again ~120-130Mbps.

Not really sure how to go any deeper or what the proper way to test each piece of hardware would be(ie. modem then router then modem/router combo)

Hard to get 300Mbits/sec (Mbps, not MBps) from ISP for your WiFi clients. Most WiFi clients are movers - handhelds or oft-m0ving laptops/tablets. If the client doesn't move, and needs high speeds, it needs to be wired.

My ISP is 100/10Mbps net yield per speedtest.net and a good local server. My Samsung S6 one room away can get that, on 5GHz. But geeze, that high speed is never needed on the S6!

Just to rule out problems on your end have your tested the speed on your LAN by connecting two PCs directly to your router and then using a utility such as WAN speed test to rule out any problem with adapter settings, etc.?

no i haven't but that would be a good test in the future; I actually use different adapters on my main laptop( gaming) for wifi/LAN since the killer adapter i have seems to be built better for 5GHz then the default one on the mobo.

Call one last time and specify that you are connecting your computer with a CAT5e or higher cable directly to the modem and your speed is way less than half of what you're paying for.

If the modem was giving even in the 250Mbps range, I wouldn't be suspecting the ISP, but as it is now; they're the prime suspect.

How long have you been on the 300Mbps DL plan? Threaten you want a refund for the time you haven't received that level of service from them. ;)

Thanks guys, it is fixed;

I am getting ~350Mbps down and ~25 up right now connected to the modem or router via WIRED and around ~250 ish on 5GHz. This is after replacing the ARRIS modem with a netgear CM600. Going to mess around with router placement and see if i can improve that wireless speed but i am 95% happy at the moment; getting more then im paying for wired lol..

Time Warner in my region doesn't have 300Mbps service. Fastest they have for me is 100/10. I wouldn't pay a premium for faster.

Time Warner in my region doesn't have 300Mbps service. Fastest they have for me is 100/10. I wouldn't pay a premium for faster.

I'm on a 50/5 connection with CoxHSI (SB6141) - work from home quite a bit, and we're media hounds, so a fair amount of usage - tracking over time though...

I don't think I need more bandwidth than I already have, but I would definitely appreciate less latency and perhaps higher uplink (from 50/5 to maybe 50/20)

status_rrd_graph_img.php.png

I'm on a 50/5 connection with CoxHSI (SB6141) - work from home quite a bit, and we're media hounds, so a fair amount of usage - tracking over time though...

I don't think I need more bandwidth than I already have, but I would definitely appreciate less latency and perhaps higher uplink (from 50/5 to maybe 50/20)

View attachment 6472

I would agree that higher than 50Mbps download is enough for most. But, having upgraded to 100/20 on a Fibre network and am getting consistently 105Mbps download with peaks to 120Mbps and uploads of 29Mbps with peaks of over 40Mbps. The best part of moving to fibre from DSL (50/10)? 1ms latency vs. 6 ms latency on DSL.

The download speeds I don't notice too much (I'm not big on downloading huge files from the internet). But the 6x decrease in latency is certainly noticed. ;)

Browsing the internet now is like having the world cached on my hdd (well, almost). :)

The best part of moving to fibre from DSL (50/10)? 1ms latency vs. 6 ms latency on DSL.

The download speeds I don't notice too much (I'm not big on downloading huge files from the internet). But the 6x decrease in latency is certainly noticed. ;)

Browsing the internet now is like having the world cached on my hdd (well, almost)

Wow... that's basically the broadband equivalent of changing out an HDD for an SSD...

We're likely to not get fibre out here in my neck of the woods for some time, if ever...

Wow... that's basically the broadband equivalent of changing out an HDD for an SSD...

We're likely to not get fibre out here in my neck of the woods for some time, if ever...

If I was moving from cable to fibre, yes. But DSL is already 10x to 20x faster than most cable ISP's around here (even if they have 250Mbps download capability (that is, if no one else in your neighborhood happens to be using it at the same time).

Coupled with the RT-AC68U I recently upgraded to, this broadband connection now has the new car 'smell' once again.

Coupled with the RT-AC68U I recently upgraded to, this broadband connection now has the new car 'smell' once again.

Wait until you get a real router - that change is almost as significant ;)

No worries, the 68U is a very good AP when relieved of all the things that people are trying to do with it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!