What's new

timed automatic router reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charles2859

New Around Here
Hi,

Is there a way or script that allow router automatically reboot after a fixed period of time or at a certain hour of the day?
The reason is some of the ports forwarded to my Asterisk box stops (or not going there) after router has been up for a while. I am sure there is a reason behind but a quick 1-minute power cycle cures it every time.

I know that my old belkin N900 had that feature
used to have it set to powercycle every 3:00 am

Simplest way is using the "cru" command. Create a services-start script (see the README for details) with something like this:

#/bin/sh
cru a 1 "0 3 * * * reboot"

This should reboot the router every night at 3am.

You can also create a crontab if you are familiar with them, just make sure to have a user script to recreate it after rebooting.

Last edited:
Low tech solution: Plug the router power supply into a lamp timer.

Dd-wrt

If your router is flashed with DD-WRT you can set up a regularly scheduled reboot.

Never used this feature so I don't know how well it works.

That's quite a lot of basic to advanced suggestions. Webrelay is quite interesting.
Based on the order of $$$, I am going to start with script. One question though, the name for the start up script shall be
1) services-start
or
2) service-start

Thank you again for all the suggestions.

It's services-start. The actual list can be found in README-merlin.txt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!