What's new

TL-R605($60)+ EAP660HD($180) vs an AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pb9

Regular Contributor
I am a newbie to networking and my question will reflect that -

The rt-ax86u works fine for me at my house, but I am looking to setup at my farm. I am thinking I will move my 86u to the farm and setup a network using TL-R605 and a single AP(660HD) to start off with. I will add another AP as needed later. I will setup the Omada software controller on my pc(not always on) and will configure the network. I will turn on the PC and make the changes as needed. My whole home is wired for ethernet and I have multiple options for the location of the AP(or multiple APs)

Do you think the above setup will work? Corner(where the AP will be placed) to Corner(where I will need wifi), the distance is about 80 ft.

There probably are other options to setup the network. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I would like to stay within $500.

Usage - About 4 people stream HD videos at the same time while there are one or two active gamers on the system. About 10 IoT devices.

Omada is excellent, but only when multiple APs are used, preferably on low power. This is how it is designed to work and the way it works best. If you need single AP only, better get a home router. RT-AX86U is a popular model around and it's half the cost - $250.

There is a better SafeStream TL-ER7602 router, better Omada integrated JetStream switches with PoE, hardware OC200 is good to have and for best results it must be running 24/7 for multi-AP system. It controls the roaming technologies as well. $500 is low budget for good Omada system.

Reactions: pb9

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!