What's new

Tmobile/AC-RT68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prince7272

New Around Here
Hi
I have a tmobile version of the AC-RT68U router and I flashed CFE and I converted it to a normal
RT68U.
I installed DD-WRT, Tomato and everything is ok.
Now I want to install Merlin but I can not flash it neither from within tomato, dd-wrt
or fom the CFE mini browser or asus restoration.
If I flash merlin from withing tomato/dd-wrt it seems the flashing is ok tomato/dd-wrt indicates
that the upgrade was successful but when the router reboots I still see the same version i.e tomato or dd-wrt
(it depends which version I used to flash merlin).
Now if I flash from the asus restoration utility again the process finishes and when the router reboots
instead of seeing merlin I see again tomato.
It seems the flashing is fake. It does not actually write to flash
Have you seen this problem before?
How do I actually flash merlin or even stock?

How do I actually flash merlin or even stock?
Strange, but it could have to do with NVRAM: You could run nvram erase && reboot from Telnet and putting the router immediately into recovery mode. :rolleyes:

Then the Asus Recovery Tool should be happy to install the latest Merlin firmware version...

Merlins quote from Shibby's thread:

"The RT-AC68U requires the existing firmware to be aware of firmware images using a 64 MB partition size - something Tomato probably isn't. You need 378.55 first, from there you can flash any of the newer releases."

Maybe this is the case.
Also I found out that all CFE flashes are 227KB while the one from the tmobile router is 512KB.
When I took a backup of my original CFE the backup was 512KB.
I do have an original RT-AC68U and I took a backup of the CFE and as a surprised the backup was 512KB.
I compared the backups (512KB with the 227KB from internet) and I do see ARM code.
I flashed my tmobile CFE with my old RT-AC68U CFE (both 512KB) and since that time
the router behaved way better. I did not have problem to put the router in rescue mode.
After that I flashed the router with an asus old firmware version (the oldest I found on Asus's website) and then I upgraded the router to the latest.
After that I was able to flash tomato, dd-wrt, merlin, stock firmware without any problem
Thanks for your suggestions.

Merlins quote from Shibby's thread:

"The RT-AC68U requires the existing firmware to be aware of firmware images using a 64 MB partition size - something Tomato probably isn't. You need 378.55 first, from there you can flash any of the newer releases."

I finally flashed Merlin and my Tmobile router is fine and fully converted to an RT-AC68U
I did twice NVRAM clean through the WPS button and I executed the nvram erase command and everything is fine.
Now I have to report something interesting with this release of firmware ( RT-AC68U_380.65_2.trx)
I enabled QoS and traffic managers and I do see that the CTF and FA are enabled. At least this is reported
I tried to see the traffic and I dont see anything. I see few Kbytes traffic and I am sure I am downloading 3-4Mbits because of the IPTV that I have
It seems the traffic does not go through the traffic monitors is it is undetected
I do see the ctf module is loaded with lsmod and the nvram show, shows the following
ctf_fa_mode=2
ctf_disable=0
ctf_disable_force=0
ctf_fa_cap=1
ctf_pt_udp=0

I think "somehow" the ctf and FA is enabled to this tmobile router and I do see it on the traffic monitors
Yes, this is normal: when Hardware Acceleration (CTF, FA, etc.) is enabled the network traffic bypasses the CPU and do not land on the Traffic Manager statistics.