What's new

To mesh, or not to mesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Allen121

New Around Here
I'm moving to a larger space with ~1,600 sq ft (which isn't all that big), but it has three levels. The first level isn't really a factor though since it's the garage.

I'm using this move as an excuse to upgrade my modem and router combo and deciding whether I need a mesh system or not. Here's some context:
  • It's only me and my roommate that live there.
  • She will stream video and audio content here and there, but not very frequently. She also takes calls via her phone and Zoom throughout the day.
  • I stream 4K HDR content through my Apple TV 4K and MacBook Pro 16-inch, make calls via my phone and Zoom, and may game here and there on my Nintendo Switch. Bottom line, nothing too crazy but would like stable and fast speeds/connection.
  • I will switch between my living room (second level) and bedroom (third level) fairly often. With my current setup (Netgear Nighthawk X4S), I struggle to get decent speeds to my room, which could be due to our [not so great] ISP (AT&T) and older modem.
Having said that, I'm debating whether I need a mesh system like the Netgear Orbi AX6000, ASUS ZenWiFi AX, etc. or stick with a single router with better specs like the Netgear RAX120 or ASUS RT-AX88U. Or go all out with the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 or Netgear RAX200 for future-proofing. Another option is two ASUS routers and meshing them together using their AiMesh tech (ASUS RT-AX88U + RT-AX3000).

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm moving to a larger space with ~1,600 sq ft (which isn't all that big), but it has three levels. The first level isn't really a factor though since it's the garage.

I'm using this move as an excuse to upgrade my modem and router combo and deciding whether I need a mesh system or not. Here's some context:
  • It's only me and my roommate that live there.
  • She will stream video and audio content here and there, but not very frequently. She also takes calls via her phone and Zoom throughout the day.
  • I stream 4K HDR content through my Apple TV 4K and MacBook Pro 16-inch, make calls via my phone and Zoom, and may game here and there on my Nintendo Switch. Bottom line, nothing too crazy but would like stable and fast speeds/connection.
  • I will switch between my living room (second level) and bedroom (third level) fairly often. With my current setup (Netgear Nighthawk X4S), I struggle to get decent speeds to my room, which could be due to our [not so great] ISP (AT&T) and older modem.
Having said that, I'm debating whether I need a mesh system like the Netgear Orbi AX6000, ASUS ZenWiFi AX, etc. or stick with a single router with better specs like the Netgear RAX120 or ASUS RT-AX88U. Or go all out with the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 or Netgear RAX200 for future-proofing. Another option is two ASUS routers and meshing them together using their AiMesh tech (ASUS RT-AX88U + RT-AX3000).

Thoughts?

One router may suffice, if you can locate it to cover your stacked areas... high and near the ISP connection.

Asus AiMesh would allow you to add a wireless node later to solve a coverage problem.

One approach could be to deploy an RT-AC86U now. That may do it. If not and/or later, add an AX WiFi 6e router after they have been released and vetted.

Another approach is to start with an AX WiFi 6 router now, but that won't be future proof. Future proofing would be tri-band AX WiFi 6e for a dedicated wireless backhaul, if meshing, but it is too soon for that so I would settle for a single vetted AC86U to start and probably finish for now.

OE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!