What's new

To QOS or not to QOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello, I have a GT-AX11000 router with a network speeds of 1400 down by 40 up. Is it worth it at this point to run any QOS and sacrifice hardware acceleration or is it best to not run with it. My bufferbloat scores seem to be pretty good without QOS. I have merlin on the router so i have a few different QOS options. There is no way to have my cake (hardware acceleration) and eat it to (QOS) correct? Yes that was a cake pun lmfao i am a nerd.

Anything NAT acceleration incompatible (Cake, Traditional) = 350-400Mbps WAN-LAN max throughput. Adaptive QoS was perhaps never intended/designed to be used with >Gigabit ISP and may throttle you down as well. Run with no QoS for some time and see how it goes. Adaptive QoS is your only option if QoS is needed.

Hello, I have a GT-AX11000 router with a network speeds of 1400 down by 40 up. Is it worth it at this point to run any QOS and sacrifice hardware acceleration or is it best to not run with it. My bufferbloat scores seem to be pretty good without QOS. I have merlin on the router so i have a few different QOS options. There is no way to have my cake (hardware acceleration) and eat it to (QOS) correct? Yes that was a cake pun lmfao i am a nerd.
I never saw the advantage of QoS, especially with today's fast internet speeds that are accessible to most people. If anything, I don't want anything throttling my internet speed and even if I was downloading something at full speed then try to download something else simultaneously on the same computer or another computer. I find that by default the speed drops a bit on my end and the remaining goes to the other connection. Not that one would be saturating their internet speed 100% all the time but just saying.

Depending on the situation it may be useful considering your connection is very asymmetrical, if you are actually saturating the uplink. I was using it on a similar 1.4 Gbps / 35 Mbps Comcast link. I'd actually saturate the upload on occasion causing massive latency spikes when for example gaming, if when someone was streaming from my NAS outside the home along with other stuff like backups/icloud uploads going on.

Last edited:
I also have asymmetrical speeds of 1.5 down, 50 up. Any suggestions as I get massive packet burst on games, due to saturated uploads.

I also have asymmetrical speeds of 1.5 down, 50 up. Any suggestions as I get massive packet burst on games, due to saturated uploads.
1000/50 plan.

Here (Australia) excess upload traffic hits a policer (any packets over 50 mbps are dropped) resulting in download throughputs dropping like a lead balloon.

To avoid using QOS, which slows speeds, some locals are putting a managed switch between WAN & router, with a maximum rate on upload traffic (49 mbps say) so the policer doesn’t kick in.
It works, but a connection that is so asymmetrical is problematic.

I reverted to 100/40 plan (much cheaper here), switch or QOS, no longer required. Easy!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!