What's new

Toasted the rt 66u , is the AC 66 a good choice for replacement ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerry6

Very Senior Member
Was pretty happy with the rt 66 u , but always looking for more , is the AC stable with merlin fw ? Any troubles with this router ?
Thanks .

Was pretty happy with the rt 66 u , but always looking for more , is the AC stable with merlin fw ? Any troubles with this router ?
Thanks .

It seems to depend on one's environment. The AC66U was my main router here for about 10 months and it was always perfectly stable (until it got relegated to development duties). Some people however are having stability issues on the wifi with their devices.

I'd say it also depends on your needs. If VPN and USB sharing is important for you, take a look at the AC56U.

Thanks , USB I don't use , VPN , no troubles with the rtn 66u so don't see a problem if I use the AC 66 . Using a netgear 6250 as backup now , I just don't like the G U I or FW , can't wait for the AC 66 . If you need any parts from my old RT N 66 U let me know , seems both radios went out and cannot reload the FW , an endless loop of page where FW can be loaded , try loading nothing happens . Try the resetting NVRAM or reboot nothing .

Keep hold of the AC adapter. Exact same one on the RT-AC66U.

Same 19V adaptor on new EEEPC. I like the way Asus seem to have standardised, but wish they had chosen a more robust connector - the narrow pin seems very fragile!

Surprised a failed RT-N66u not still under warranty?

If not - any sign of component failure on the board? Due to use of 19V inlet Asus use a number of DC to DC convertor chips, I have a router where U32 had failed - and was fortunate to know an "old solderer" tools/skill to be able to replace the FR9888 with a replacement sample.

The N-66u does run very hot, early samples had fans, but stock just a big heatsink - I have wall mounted mine sideways so can get vertical airflow across it, but doesn't seem great for antenna orientation!

I hope I'm not off topic here but what router are you using now
RMerlin? I'm having some connectivity issue with my rtn66u. I think it might have to do with the location my router is in right now.

I hope I'm not off topic here but what router are you using now
RMerlin? I'm having some connectivity issue with my rtn66u. I think it might have to do with the location my router is in right now.

The RT-AC56U has been my main router since around July when the FW was stabilized. Before that I used the AC66U for about 10 months, which in turn had replaced an RT-N66U.

Now, the half-dismanteled RT-N66U (for serial debugging) and RT-AC66U are sitting on a corner of my desk, where I can plug them back when doing FW testing inside the LAN. I also have a donated RT-N16 which I take out of the drawer when I need to test something specific to that model.

Same 19V adaptor on new EEEPC. I like the way Asus seem to have standardised, but wish they had chosen a more robust connector - the narrow pin seems very fragile!

Surprised a failed RT-N66u not still under warranty?

If not - any sign of component failure on the board? Due to use of 19V inlet Asus use a number of DC to DC convertor chips, I have a router where U32 had failed - and was fortunate to know an "old solderer" tools/skill to be able to replace the FR9888 with a replacement sample.

The N-66u does run very hot, early samples had fans, but stock just a big heatsink - I have wall mounted mine sideways so can get vertical airflow across it, but doesn't seem great for antenna orientation!
Not under warranty , bought it the minute it was released . All the light work on it(except the radio lights ) , so it is getting power , but it's stuck in an endless loop that no recovery mode or disc can wake it out of . The ac 66u is on it's way .

Could be a hardware failure, but could also be corrupt nvram - you would know more with serial console output.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!