What's new

Toshiba portable hard drive and Asus AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave Parker

I have connected my Toshiba portable hard drive USB 3.0 to my Asus AC86U. Wondering if the current draw of the Toshiba is going to be too much for the 86u power supply. It seems to be working fine. Will only be used for extra storage space and backups. No streaming. I have it set to sleep after 5 minutes of non use and it is working. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's a USB drive so it has to conform to USB power standards. If the ASUS power supply could not handle, there would be no USB ports.

Thanks for you quick response. I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask. The power supply doesn't seem to be overheated so all is fine.
Thanks
Dave

As ApexRon said you should be fine.

However be a good Boy Scout and be prepared incase the extra load from the HD shortens the life of your 86U power supply. If it is a 19 volt supply like many other ASUS wall warts, then it can be difficult to quickly find a replacement to get your network back on line.

As ApexRon said you should be fine.

However be a good Boy Scout and be prepared incase the extra load from the HD shortens the life of your 86U power supply. If it is a 19 volt supply like many other ASUS wall warts, then it can be difficult to quickly find a replacement to get your network back on line.
Thank you for replying. I still have my ASUS AC68U and it looks like they have the same power supply. So I'm hanging on to that for now. The Toshiba was just setting on a shelf not being used so I decided to plug it in the 86U and learn how to do it. I have a Silicon Power 1tb portable hard drive that I use now. The Toshiba will only see light use, so It should not load the power supply to much.
Thanks again
Dave

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!