What's new

Total Noob Requesting information

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigmac2xk

New Around Here
Ok. I know enough to build my own computers. I'm the most technically literate of my work group (we program phone systems, so that isn't saying much...). So at least I can figure things out when I need to.

Read a lot of reviews and went to a lot of website before I settled on Asus RT-N16. Had everything I wanted in a router. I knew there would be a steep learning curve but this is starting to drive me insane. I'm ready to install latest Asus software and live with it's limitations.

Got router a week ago and put DD-WRT on it. Worked fine but I like to test drive before I settle on anything. Installed Tomato USB. I like that even better.

What is holding me back is everyone posts what to do but they don't post how to do it. Posts will say type in this command but won't say what app... Or install this software but not how or where to install it. I'm trying not to brick the router. Had a scare the other night but was able to get it working again...

I'm not looking for someone to solve my problems, just advice on what you think is the best source to read about how to use Busybox, optware etc. Whether it be specific websites or books to buy.

Thank you.

Fyi

I loaded Asus 1019 and was not happy with it. Limited configuration. Qos was a joke. Am back to using Tomato 1.28.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I've got a USB harddrive connected to the router. I want to make two partitions. 1 ntfs and 1 ext3. My wife uses utorrent to get her Russian music and shows. Would like to use usb drive to download files to. Although it looks like we have to use computer to start seed and then continue seed with linux app? Sounds complicated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even just a go-there-and-read-that...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!