What's new

TP Link Archer AXE16000 - poor upload speeds (~1 Mbps)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psychopomp1

Hi,
I have an FTTH Etisalat 300/120 Mbps line and have just bought a TP link AXE16000 router, this is to replace an Asus RT-AX89X. But no matter what I try, i never get more than 1-2 Mbps on upload with the TP Link. QoS is off. Anyone else seeing the same? It seems other TP Link AX models were/are also affected by this issue

You are perhaps the only owner of TP-Link AXE16000 router (the new Archer AXE300?) among the active members of SNB Forums.

You are perhaps the only owner of TP-Link AXE16000 router (the new Archer AXE300?) among the active members of SNB Forums.
Yep, probably am lol. I did consider the equivalent Asus model but given my poor experience of the GT-AX11000 with poor quality floppy antennas (happened on 2 units, so clearly a design/QC issue) i was a tad hesitant spending north of $500 on the Asus AXE16000. Anyway no such issues on the TP Link AXE16000/AXE300 but upload speeds are crippled and router is almost useless at present. I've asked TP Link support to look into this, hopefully a firmware update (even beta) fixes this.

Hi,
I have an FTTH Etisalat 300/120 Mbps line and have just bought a TP link AXE16000 router, this is to replace an Asus RT-AX89X. But no matter what I try, i never get more than 1-2 Mbps on upload with the TP Link. QoS is off. Anyone else seeing the same? It seems other TP Link AX models were/are also affected by this issue

Well, I've got the Archer AX11000 (had it for more than two and a half years) and it's never misbehaved, I always get my 940 down and 60 up no matter what.
I assume you've gone through the troubleshooting steps listed in the TP-Link thread, and specifically set your correct download/upload speeds in QoS? And yes, QoS must be turned on for you to set these!
Or could you give a few screenshots of the AXE300's "Advanced" tabs, so I could have a look and possibly find any points of similarity between your settings and mine? A long shot, I know, but I simply haven't got the AXE300 to test (yet).
And stay strong, early adopter pains are the most painful. ;)

Yes, played around with QoS & all other suggestions in that thread but it made no difference. TP Link support asked me to connect it to existing router (Asus RT-AX89X), turn off VLAN settings and see if it improves speeds. Indeed it did as upload speeds are back to 100+ Mbps but re-connecting directly to ONT the upload speeds are back to 1-2 Mbps. Just waiting for further feedback from TP Link support, I hope a different firmware fixes this, other than this issue the router blows away the AX89X for range and download speeds.

Well then, since you've done everything (and specifically turned QoS on, set your speeds manually, and then turned QoS off), I'm out of ideas - especially as I haven't got the exact same model.
One other thing that comes to my mind is that I was experiencing a ton-load of really weird and illogical problems when I had a Technicolor modem. But when this was changed to an Arris, all the troubles went away.

PS I noticed that the AXE300 has "motorized" antennas. Do they work properly, or is this just some crazy marketing stuff?
And one more thing - I'm not at all surprised that the AXE300 has excellent range. Although I can only compare my Archer AX11000 to the Asus RT-AC86U and GT-AX11000, it beats the hell out of them when it comes to range.

No, the AXE300 i have does not have motorized antennas. Not sure if TP Link decided against having motorized antennas or will use them on a different AXE model. This is the model i have:

I've arranged a remote Teamviewer session with one of their support staff tomorrow morning, he/she will go through the different settings on the router to see if i've got anything wrong.

An update: its fixed! Plugged the ONT into the 10G combined WAN port coloured blue (previously I think i only tried the 2.5G and 10G standalone WAN ports) and bingo the upload is now at around 120 Mbps. Had to cancel the Teamviewer session :)

Music to my ears, mate.
Now I'll just have to get one of these. ;)
But what the hell for? As my AX11000 is coping so admirably.

Still working ?
6e speed ( past 5 feet ) ?
Through any walls ?
Have you linked it to any Mesh ?

Just got an MSI Titan w. 6e , waiting on a good test ( by anyone , say , you ) w. any 6e router to buy a 6e router and try it out .
Frontier 2G Fiber OTW .

Asus 1600 also having problems it seems .
No range , multi Use ports vs multi ports , No USB , etc.
I think they expect people to buy a Mesh device in addition to $ 700 router.

Just got an MSI Titan w. 6e , waiting on a good test

Nice - I have a Raider GE76, which is a step down... but same WiFi card.

Should be the same as any Intel 6x wifi card - performance should be decent. Just note that my Macbook Pro 16 (Intel) is actually faster on wireless because it is a 3-stream WiFi5 device...

An update: its fixed! Plugged the ONT into the 10G combined WAN port coloured blue (previously I think i only tried the 2.5G and 10G standalone WAN ports) and bingo the upload is now at around 120 Mbps. Had to cancel the Teamviewer session :)
Got the Archer 1600. Hooked it up . Same problem - 30 Mbs Upload wifi directly to router , WAN is in and of out combination 10G blue port.
What else did you change ?
No QOS enabled , no other limitations I know of .. buy Down is fast , Up is crawling.
What settings to check ??

Well , I just got one. Installed yesterday. Same upload problem. Slow . Plugged in to 10G combo port. No improvement. 370 down , 30 Up.
Help .

This is a brand new product and only TP-Link can help you guys. On the consumer market cutting edge technology means users as beta testers.

Nice - I have a Raider GE76, which is a step down... but same WiFi card.

Should be the same as any Intel 6x wifi card - performance should be decent. Just note that my Macbook Pro 16 (Intel) is actually faster on wireless because it is a 3-stream WiFi5 device...
Wifi is yet to be tested on new Archer 1600 on 6e. We shall see . Maybe replace wifi card ? But - same card faster in other laptops sooo .. not sure what can be done . Adding SSD drives soon . Samsung 2 Tb ? 2nd slot next to CPU . Wrestling w. Win 11 to debloat and remove trackware . Screen resolution really messes w some websites . Maybe Win HDR settings ?

Yep, probably am lol. I did consider the equivalent Asus model but given my poor experience of the GT-AX11000 with poor quality floppy antennas (happened on 2 units, so clearly a design/QC issue) i was a tad hesitant spending north of $500 on the Asus AXE16000. Anyway no such issues on the TP Link AXE16000/AXE300 but upload speeds are crippled and router is almost useless at present. I've asked TP Link support to look into this, hopefully a firmware update (even beta) fixes this.
Make that 2.
Same problem.
Tried your solutions ..
I already only get 40% of promised download speed from Comcast .
That's half the problem .
I think part of the problem is the splitter on the coax .
Needs to be 1000 MHz range , low pass filter . Moderm handles it, router doesn't (?) .
Maybe frequency filters are too tight , too slow , too high angle .. ?
Also there is a lighting arrestor ( glass bead type ) on coax . These fail and are 1 time use .
I have a higher frequency and quality version for radio antenna coax .
These are very good with band pass filters.
Make arrestor freq. range about 5-10% wider than all bands from cable co. , ground well to earth , get better splitter for cable/internet ( 1st find out splitter frequencies of cable And internet from cable company or splitter model ) and install that .
I also have signal boosters for both sides of splitter to try .
I'll try that next .
Note that changing internet speed to anything higher than modem speed results in a fail and disconnect from modem .
Auto is at modern speed .

Still working ?
6e speed ( past 5 feet ) ?
Through any walls ?
Have you linked it to any Mesh ?

Just got an MSI Titan w. 6e , waiting on a good test ( by anyone , say , you ) w. any 6e router to buy a 6e router and try it out .
Frontier 2G Fiber OTW .

Asus 1600 also having problems it seems .
No range , multi Use ports vs multi ports , No USB , etc.
I think they expect people to buy a Mesh device in addition to $ 700 router.
Hi

Sorry for the late response. Yes my AXE300/16000 router is still working fine, no issues. Don't have any wifi 6E clients, still waiting for my Thinkpad T16 laptop to be delivered and then I can test wifi6E speeds. I have a TP Link plugin range extender RE700X which works very well with the TP Link AXE16000. Overall very pleased with the router as its a HUUUUUUUGE upgrade on the Asus RT-AX89X wrt wifi speeds, even for wifi 5 clients.

If you're having issues with the upload, have you tried playing with the VLAN settings, assuming your ISP uses a VLAN setting? In my case, Etisalat uses VLAN=30 and these are the settings I have on the router (btw i'm not using IPTV or VOIP, these are just random values I entered)

Capture.jpg

Otherwise post on the tp link forum here
and fire off am email to support.forum@tp-link.com and someone from support will get in touch with you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!